.
. asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What is LES MISERABLES (the novel) about, and why is it considered a classic?

I'm making a list of books to read this summer, and I want to invest some time going through the classics. Thanks.

~Sara

• Aly
    Best Answer

Les Miserables, while I can do the book no justice in one short summary, is basically about a man named Jean Valjean. He's an ex-convict, and the book takes you throughout his entire life as he tries to gain redemption. Although this is hardly an acceptable summary, it's all I can say without giving something away.

What I can tell you is that this book is absolutely amazing. Valjean's redemption and his struggle to keep the one thing he loves kept me interested through every chapter. It is very long, but worth the read. I suppose it's a chapter because everything about the book -- the language, the symbolism, the characters -- still makes people feel something today. I highly recommend it.

IT is an incredible book full of literary conflict.The main character steals a loaf of bread to feed himself. For this he does hard time.After serving more than enough time, he escapes, living as a model citizen, which he always was intrinsically, under another name. He is recognized by his former jailer, and relentlessly pursued.It takes place during the French revolution, but is so well written that it still stands up,because it is a novel about character, honour,sense of duty,redemption and forgiveness.