Trying to understand the wording of this finance question...?

Shaun invests $4000.00 at 4% interest per year. How much additional money must he invest at 5.5% interest per year to ensure that the interest he receives each year is 4.5% of the total amount invested?

I think they have failed to construct a valid question here... tsk tsk...

would somebody PLEASE prove me wrong?

• rtfm
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like a relatively simple question to me.

He's deposited $4000 at 4 percent.

He's also going to deposit X at 5.5 percent.

The total interest earned at the end of the year is going to be 4.5 percent of the total amount he invested.

So 4 percent of 4000 plus 5.5 percent of X will be 4.5 percent of (4000 plus X)

Turn that into an equation and solve for X.

Nope. You are missing the point of the question, which is about the math of investing not the logic of investing.

A question asking you about the logic (management) of investing would go this way:

Shaun wishes to earn an average/net return of 4.5% on his investment, but he is afraid to risk investing all of his money in Berkshire Bonds (current yield = 5.5%). How much of his money will be invested in Berkshire bonds if he decides to invest $4000 in Treasury bonds (current yield = 4%) to lower the risk.

Clear as mud?