Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

What do you know about the confederate flag?

My boyfriend drives his truck around with a confederate flag tied to the back. I don't know much about it, I always thought it was a racist considering of the black slaves, etc. Let me know what you know or think about it! Thanks :)

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When the South seceded from the Union, they created their own flag. The Confederate Flag is what they came up with.

Some people consider it a symbol of racism and oppression, because it was the flag of a 'country' that supported slavery.

Others see it simply as a symbol of the South.

Like almost everything, it simply depends on your point of view. I know several people who fly the Confederate flag for no other reason than that they like how it looks.

• Login to reply the answers
  • icabod
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The Confederates began with 7 stars on their flag then went to 11 and finally had 13 with the symbolic addition of Kentucky and Missouri.

The Confederacy had several national colors, They varied in design and size. There was the "Stars and Bars" used as the Confederate battle flag. While this is the best known Confederate flag, it wasn't a national color. One Confederate national flag was so long that it rarely flew straight out and had so much white that it was frequently taken to be a white flag of surrender.

It's the "Stars and Bars" (Aka "Southern Cross") that appears most often today.

What's the meaning? Alexander H. Stephens then the vice-president of the confederacy explained the meaning of the revolt on March 21, 1861. As the various flags represente3d the confederacy it's worthwhile knowing what the confederacy stood for.

"The new constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution African slavery as it exists amongst us the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization....Our new government is founded upon... its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. "

Nuff said.

Alexander H. Stephens

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.