A friends cars handbrake doesn't work, can I leave it in gear when it's off?

Would this even help?

Favorite Answer

I assume you are talking about a straight shift... you always park them in gear "ALWAYS" even if you use the handbrake. You put it in low (first) gear if parking up hill (with the front of the car going up), reserve if parking downhill (with the front of the car going down).

• Andy

You better leave it in gear!Yes it will hold the car just don't park on any steep hills.Any hill at all you better turn the wheels into the curb and roll up against it to hold the car along with it being in gear.

Leave it in gear with or without a brake, I have used mine 3 times in 40 years unless doing repairs.

If it has a manual transmission leave it is low gear. If it is n automatic transmission leave it is park. I suggest your friend get it repaired ASAP.

Source(s): Common sence

Sure.

Curb your tires too.

Or don't park on a hill.

You should do that anyway. Get the hand brake adjusted.

PS- You don't need to put it in reverse when you are parked downhill. It makes no difference; first or reverse.