Mania asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Okay so I want to learn japanese?

Now before you go jumping into rosetta stone and s*** like that let me tell you I'm 12 and I want to learn it on a gradient. I know some colors, how to say "mom" I know quite a few animals and I named my brother Baka. I say nani and naze when I'm confused... You can tell I know quite a bit. Oh and at roll call I say koko (easy way of saying here in Japanese) and I don't say it but I know okurimono is present. I learned my first swear when I was 11... See, I'm learning pretty well. I want things more like, what I could say with "dattebayo." Like I now "Nan Dattebayo?!" which I get the structure it's like "What?!" with more emphasis. I'm not a toddler I can read and tell the similarities in "nani" and "nan dattebayo", even if I can't spell english as well as japanese.

Anyway, (I decided to clear the tantrum with another paragraph) how would I say more of things like dattebayo? How would I say "I get it already?" I first learned it "wakattebayo" but after further research got very confused...

I said I'm ******* twelve Belie I'm learning. I've adopted my small japanese vocab over two years as a two year old does not have a large vocab. It would help if I felt twelve, and didn't have such a destructive family that I didn't gain conciousness over my life until I was ten. Now, I don't care what others think, but I won't be trash talked. The only reason I say "koko" is because it's easy for the kids in my class to continue roll-call after it. Another thing! I won't nessessarily use dattebayo but it would help if I knew as I watch Naruto. I watch Naruto because it help develope my imaination for my future as an author, not as a "fangirl" although I enjoy the story. I have a reason for everything I do related to japan. I study world war two and hiroshima and I do all I can to learn more. This was an attempt to learn more, not to get trash talked by lowlifes that can't hold their toungue against a child.

This is childish favoritism but I like the fourth person best. He sounds smart because he can put it simply, and get his point across. I can use my only sorce, the internet, which only he has granted me an answer with the materials I have so far.

Okay, now I can't decide between the fourth and fifth answerers. They're both good, I can write a few characters thanks to the fourth one, even if I don't honestly know what they mean. I guess I'll have to take it slow. I do have a long time for learning. I guess I could ask my teacher if I could borrow her japanese lesson book. She is really nice and considerate, a great higher-up in my church, too. I suppose she might lend me the book for awhile. If I gather some sources and put my mind to it, I'll be able to learn. I want to learn, and that's key.

I don't have a japanese friend... And who is anyone to say I'm not twelve? I'll admit, I turn thirteen in August. But I don't have some super-up-a## mom who monitors my every word and action. I know, I have to learn with live people in front of me. But the best alternitive for starting right now is a book or website. I've told my mom I want to go to a school that will teach Japanese, and when I have learned enough, will give me math lessons and all that in Japanese. I can imagine a Japanese school (in America) can't be that much different from the French Academy near my school. They both speak teach second languages. If I ask on of the French teachers about their school and how the kids learn the language, I'm sure I can get a rough idea of how the Japanese school would work. And I don't want people saying "You can't get reference from a French teacher." because you all said it yourself, you can't rely on people on the internet for everything!

Best Answer

For saying swear words, you dont sound like a 12 year old kid..

Dear Japanophile,

You cannot learn a Language by yourself, you need classes with real people to interact with and not some internet buddy who claims to be Japanese or a book or a website to guide you through, you need professional help (a teacher who has experience in teaching) maybe a Japanese friend to help you through, but don't expect your Japanese friend in school to teach you from the beginning, I do believe she/he has her/his own homework, activities to do too. So don't just depend on a friend to learn the "whole" language, that's what teachers are for.. so get a teacher!

And don't go thinking that living in Japan is the only way to learn Japanese, sure it will improve but taking a course in school in your own country will do just about the same, all you need is real motivation because it does get tougher as you level up, patience and motivation is the key to success.

I'm currently in my 2nd year in learning Japanese in school and I speak from experience, I've been to up and downs while taking the course but that's how it is.. you cannot expect it to be all easy, there will be times where you think "I cannot take it anymore, this is too much" but think about the end results and how the hardship will pay off in the end.

Oh if you're really that "interested" in learning Japanese you would actually spend some money on it or if you're not that lazy, you would go searching for a school near you that teaches Japanese for free (public middle/high schools) if they don't have in your local public schools, wait till college!

A software will only teach you some words and not proper grammar.

I started learning Japanese when I was eleven and you know more than I did when I started(if you really ARE twelve - I would find it impressive that a twelve year-old would have the ability to write as you do - you can take that as a compliment if you ARE twelve)

And by the way. Poo to Bellie. She is always grumpy and is quite full of her own ability in Japanese. The sort of person that gets grumpy because they feel challenged by anyone else attempting to learn their pet language. And then get a self important pride out of telling people they are wrong. I have met people like that. ANWAYS...

As you are twelve, you have a looooot of time to become good at Japanese. I would suggest though, not using the internet as a way in which to learn Japanese.

There ARE good online dictionaries, and there are good sites that teach you how to draw kanji and teach you how to memorise kana. I am not going to link you to a kana sight, as the other answer has a good link anyway. I will give you my favourite dictionary though (in my opinion the best to use on the web) http://www.jisho.org

But these sights are there to SUPPORT learning Japanese. Also, if you are intending to learn Japanese, and are watching anime to improve your hearing and comprehension; I would suggest also watching live dramas in Japanese (like 'ichi ritoru no namida' which means '1 liter of tears' - though that is a bit of a sad one). They tend to use more normal language. (sorry to break it to you - but not even regional areas in Japan speak like the anime characters much - it is manga speech. It is mostly mixes and matches of a whole lot of weird and obscure parts of Japanese that the authors pick to make their characters sound cute or different. It is normal in manga but not in real life)

Surly being twelve you can pick Japanese up at school? And if you can't I would suggest finding a tutor or private Japanese school in your area. They are generally good.

If you can't do that, I would simply teach my self the kanas, and learn how to read and write basic self introductions and continue to watch manga so that my ear does not become bad. And then look for the opportunity to do an exchange in Japan. If money is an issue, there are a lot of orginisations like 'the rotary club' that run cheap youth exchanges. They still cost a bit, and you are going to have to prove that you really want to go, but that just takes planning ahead - rotary dont do their exchanges until the last year of school though, but I have heard of companies doing exchanges from the age of about 14 and up. You can save up or something

But unless you can find a way to come into physical contact with Japanese in someway, I think it would nigh impossible to learn Japanese on the interwebs.

Whatever you do, don't undertake Japanese lightly - but don't give up either; and dont feel disheartened if you can't find a way to learn it. An opportunity will turn up sometime if you pursue it. Keep looking and doing what you can. And what you CAN do now is learn kana.

GOOD LUCK <(^-*)^

Source(s): JLPT2

I can see that you are very interested in Japanese already and that is a good thing. Actually, in contrast to some people, I would say that learning Japanese through popular culture materials is a very effective way to pick up basic communication skills. I learned many formal patterns in traditional Japanese class that I only rarely had use for when I lived in Japan. Still, you should focus on standard Japanese rather than regional dialect speech (using ~bayo endings etc) because some Japanese don't understand different dialects very easily sometimes and you can put yourself at a disadvantage. So you need to be careful with your source material. For the record, during roll call, Japanese people answer "hai~" which means Yes. and for "I get it already" my daughter usually says "mou wakatte iru!!" Good luck.

I'm studying japanese also. For me the pronunciation is easy because my native language is spanish, and, fortunately, we share the same sounds with the japanese language.

I use this page to learn how to write Hiragana ( http://www.geocities.com/takasugishinji/japanese/h... ) . It's a good way to start learning the language.

I think you are making a good decision by starting to learn japanese at such a young age. Good luck! =)

just try to learn it from

http://www.japaneseclass.jp

on that site you can:

# Learn Japanese

# Practice, improve and enrich your vocabulary and kanji

# Motivate yourself from the EXP you earned and get ranked among others

# Organize your learning - don't get stuck, learn Japanese level by level. know where to begin and where to continue

# Watch Japanese videos, while you can also enrich your vocabulary and kanji by taking the practice tests from the vocabulary list of each video.

• Belie

"You can tell I know quite a bit."

No, you know and do what every other obnoxious anime fangirl does with Japanese (that is, you butcher and misuse it).

Japanese don't say "koko" during roll call.

Don't use annoying Naruto-isms. -ttebayo isn't used by regular people. It's only used by annoying fan kids who don't know any better.

If you want to learn Japanese you need to do it the proper way through courses and native speaking teachers. Software, looking things up in dictionaries, grabbing a few books, or watching anime/J-drama and listing to J-pop/J-rock is NOT a way to learn proper Japanese.

Belie said it. Amen.