Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 decade ago

Is this just a common cold or more?

I have a stuffy nose and phlem and lots of it but my eyes hurt alot and most of the time they burns and start to tear up, really bad headache and hot and cold falshes along with back pain and leg cramps etc. I have drank 9 cups of water between this morning and this afternoon but then lost count but I am still dehydrated. like my lips and my mouth is pretty dry and pasty. Im tired all the time and have no energy at all. I dont have a cough just yet and im not throwing up just yet but i feel very naucious. I have tried taking dayquil and nyquil but they dont seem to work one bit and vix barely works(it just makes my nose drip) I have a bit of a fever but not sure how high. Is this just a common cold or is it more? Ive had it for about 3 days now and its just getting worse.

I know its not the swine flu though I have had no contact with Mexico or anything like that. Plus we dont have that right in our area.

Im also starting to get pains in my chest and its harder to breathe but I still dont have a cough.

Favorite Answer

Symptoms of swine flu in humans appear to be similar to those produced by standard, seasonal flu. These include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, chills and fatigue.

So far, most cases of swine flu around the world appear to be mild, albeit with diarrhoea more common than it is with seasonal flu. The World Health Organization says that so far most people who develop symptoms of infection have not needed drugs to make a full recovery. However, around one in ten needs hospital treatment.

The fact that many of the victims are young does point to something unusual. Normal, seasonal flu tends to affect the elderly disproportionately.

The US authorities say that two drugs commonly used to treat flu, Tamiflu and Relenza, seem to be effective at treating cases that have occurred there so far. However, the drugs must be administered at an early stage to be effective.

Use of these drugs may also make it less likely that infected people will pass the virus on to others.

Anyone with flu-like symptoms who might have been in contact with the swine virus - such as those living or travelling in the areas of Mexico that have been affected - should seek medical advice.

But patients are being asked not to go into GP surgeries in order to minimise the risk of spreading the disease to others. Instead, they should stay at home and call their healthcare provider for advice.

Avoid close contact with people who appear unwell and who have fever and cough.

General infection control practices and good hygiene can help to reduce transmission of all viruses, including the human swine influenza. This includes covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing, using a tissue when possible and disposing of it promptly.

It is also important to wash your hands frequently with soap and water to reduce the spread of the virus from your hands to face or to other people and cleaning hard surfaces like door handles frequently using a normal cleaning product.

If caring for someone with a flu-like illness, a mask may be worn to cover the nose and mouth to reduce the risk of transmission. The UK is looking at increasing its stockpile of masks for healthcare workers for this reason.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/email/n...

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/n...

Source(s): internet