Is there anyway to talk sense into someone whose a member of a cult? I have a friend whose's "pentecostal"?

the problem is he belongs to one of those independant ones that really is just not like a normal church, Infact to most christians it be viewed 100% as a cult, I mean half of it borders on voodoo for heavens sakes, anything I can try to do or to say that will help? Unfortunately his mother is also devote, thankfully his brother is not, but the poor kid sits in his room all day cause the rest tell him daily hes not a christian and will burn in hell (he actually is christian) anyways anything I could do? my friends over 18 so it be illegal to pay for deprogramming and social services isnt an option ect

I would mind my own business but the issue is he makes his belief everybodys business, he has no moral line AT ALL, he will start of on tirades on people after serious events ect ...youd have to see it to understand.

not all pentecostal churches are the same. Some just claim to be but have no affiliations his is one,

Happy go lucky maybe you should read questions before commenting I never ever said I had a yeast infection. Im not a troll! and if your gonna cyber stalk people you should do a lil more research

I see no response happygolucky - I emailed you btw..maybe an appology is in order

Favorite Answer

1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

If the "Holy" Spirit is at work in a person's life then they should be becoming more "holy" and bearing the fruit of the spirit. Pray for your friend and ask God to use you to speak some truth into his life and pray that he might receive God's truth, in Jesus' name.

1 Thessalonians 5:19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise prophecies. 21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Galatians 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Churches like the one that you describe use scare tactics and they twist the Scriptures and get their followers to believe in the charlatans in charge instead of what the Bible teaches. But these passages above talk about "testing the spirits" and about being aware that there are false prophets. Don't let him use those catch phrases about "speaking against the Lord's annointed" or "blaspheming the Holy Spirit".

Ask him to be like the Bereans and compare what is taught and what goes on and what the "fruit" of that teaching is doing in his life. Is it making him more like Jesus or more like a carnal man who is looking for signs and wonders to put his faith into instead of in the Lord.

Matthew 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' 23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'

• dlc

If you know your Bible you can present them with Scriptural Truths to cause them to question their belief.

One will not find a "pentecostal church" in the Bible.

Pentecost is an annual Feast Day found in Leviticus 23, it is called the Feast of Weeks or in Hebrew Shavuot. It is the first day of the week after the Sabbath following Passover when God's people were to count 49 days or 7 Sabbaths to the day of Pentecost on the 50th day, hence the Greek derived "pente"cost.

Lev 23:15 'You shall also count for yourselves from the day after the sabbath, from the day when you brought in the sheaf of the wave offering; there shall be seven complete sabbaths.

Lev 23:16 'You shall count fifty days to the day after the seventh sabbath; then you shall present a new grain offering to the LORD.

The males were required to appear in Jerusalem for three specific Feasts with Pentecost / Feast of Weeks being one of them:

Deu 16:16 "Three times in a year all your males shall appear before the LORD your God in the place which He chooses, at the Feast of Unleavened Bread and at the Feast of Weeks and at the Feast of Booths, and they shall not appear before the LORD empty-handed.

This is the reason so many men from various regions having different languages or "tongues" were gathered together when the Spirit was poured out upon them recorded in Acts 2 as prophesied by Joel.

Ask a "Pentecostal" what Pentecost means outside of the book of Acts. I may be wrong, but my guess is that many do not know it is a Feast Day commanded by our Creator as instructed in the Hebrew Torah of the OT within their own Bibles.

A suggested answer is that there is no way to curb the disturbing nature of this "religion" - No, it is absolutely not a "common" Christian faith. In this "faith", MAN is the God on earth, for woman to serve. Men look their age at 45, and their wives look like someones Grandmother as they cannot wear make-up, anything other than dull clothing, no pants, only skirts - long. They cannot speak-up, sing in public, speak their mind, simply "serve their "Lord and Master" - their husband. My Christian God does not see "what we wear" but who we are inside. The Pentecostal religion is extreme in the Southern states and is that surprising? You will not find many Pentecostal "professionals", ie, "white collar", as this group is traditionally less educated and as you indicated aggressive, argumentative about their "faith" only seeing things "one way." God help you if you are a woman in blue jeans, which I find very funny, however this group does not! There is no use trying to "convert" or change a person of this faith, a cult-like entity. Some of their places of worship may be a bit varied, with some compromises, but surely not at all enough to make a woman any more than a servant to her husband for her entire life. Sad - but very true.

Source(s): Living near a Pentecostal settlement

Nope, there is no way. The only way I left that HORRIBLE cult is by entering college and meeting new people. Eventually, I just left on my own. You can influence him, but that's about it. Talking sense into him is pointless. Those people are brainwashed beyond belief. Just show him what a good time you can have by NOT being in that religion and perhaps he'll yearn for that and leave. Taking the logical route just simply won't work. It didn't for me. I just ended up being envious of all the things normal people got to do and, over the course of a few years, slipped out of the church and into reality. So thankful I did.

Source(s): Pentecostal for 19 years.
  • JamesH

Don't tar all churches (Pentecostal or otherwise) with the same brush because of the errors of a few.

As I've studied the Bible, I find that the original church that Jesus began was Pentecostal.

Quit lying all the time. You said you have a yeast infection and hours later you claim you could die of an infection and need an abortion PLEASE TELL ME WHat is the infection? A few posts earlier you said you had a yeast issue and that is neither life threatening or non treatable while pregnant

"All Christians are members of a cult," there's some truth to that.

You may not like to hear it, but if your particular brand of lie isn't working maybe you should try some truth. Of course, before you can attempt any such thing you'll have to decide your friend's well-being is more important to you than the comfort you get from not examining your own beliefs.

You do realize that pentecostal is a regular and recognized denomination just as much as baptist is, or any of the others?

Basically, you feel about him the way I feel about all Christians. But, unless he asks you for information, the proper thing to do is to let him believe what he wants to believe. If he is an adult and is going of his own freewill, its his choice.

Source(s): Lots of churches have no affliations. You dont have to have an affliation to be a 'real' church. If he is being a Bible thumper, that is a problem with *him* not his denomination, and consequently, its the *same* problem most of us have with Christians. Your friend is far from the only one who makes his beliefs known by everyone. Have you missed where an entire group of people have just been legally declared undeserving of rights because of Christian beliefs?????? Now you know what we feel like. Either ignore him, preach back at him, or ditch the friend.

when some one is believing some thing blindly the only way to bring him to his senses is put him in situations where he is forced to think with an open mind .

also many cults practice the art of self hypnosis .. if he is under influence of that then it will ne extremely difficult to pull him out

i don't think that we should try to talk sense into people concerning their beliefs, i think that we should witness to them about our faith and the good things that God has blessed us with in our life. we should study the words of our faith so that when the time comes we can be effective in witnessing and then let God do the rest. i know for me it was hearing the Word and the Spirit moving in me that brought me to the Lord. i hope this answer helps