Are the 7 Roman Catholic Sacraments Biblical? Please supply Scripture verses to support your answer?

1) Baptism, which the Roman Catholic Church teaches removes original sin while infusing it with sanctifying grace.

2) Penance, in which one confesses his/her sins to a priest.

3) The Eucharist, considered the reception and consumption of the actual body and blood of Christ.

4) Confirmation, a formal acceptance into the church along with special anointing of the Holy Spirit.

5) Anointing of the sick, performed by a priest using oil, anoints the sick person´s forehead and hands with oil; associated not only with bodily healing but with forgiveness of sins. When performed on a dying person it is called Extreme Unction (last rights, final anointing).

6) Holy Orders, the process by which men are ordained to clergy.

7) Matrimony, which provides special grace to a couple.

Update:

* The doctrine of Seven Sacraments affirmed 1439

Update 2:

Okay guys: It appears that you do not know what the word "sacrament" means. So here is the meaning.

In order to qualify as a sacrament, the Roman Catholic Church states that it must meet the following three criteria:

a) the external, that is a sensibly perceptibly sign of sanctifying grace,

b) the conferring of sanctifying grace,

c) the institution by God or, more accurately, by the God-Man Jesus Christ. Thus, sacraments are not merely a symbol, but are believed to actually confer "sanctifying grace" upon the recipient.

The Roman Catholic Church believes that all of their seven sacraments were instituted by Christ Himself.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

More info?

1) Baptism, which the Roman Catholic Church teaches removes original sin while infusing it with sanctifying grace.

-

As long as we are in the flesh we are separated from God. Baptism does not remove this state of existence.

Romans 3:

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past,

-

Outward sign of Grace within is a false theology as it is taught. Grace within is the baptism of the Holy Spirit not the baptism of repentance. The church blurs the lines of what is being stated. Water baptism is not the baptism of Jesus nor is it an outward sign. If a person is baptized in the Holy Spirit it shows in who they are from then forth.

Acts 1

5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Water baptism has nothing to do with it.

-

2) Penance, in which one confesses his/her sins to a priest.

-

Penance is not what is meant by the words of Christ Jesus. The word used is μετάνοια - metanoia. This is a change in the mind. Not confession or reconciliation.

Luke 15:

7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

-

Luke 5:21

And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?

-

So the Church in Rome establishes itself as God but is not God. Jesus is God therefore can and does forgive sin. This is because of metanoia, a change of heart/mind, not because of confession or baptism.

-

Confessing our sins to one another is correct the offices as set up by the church in Rome is an addition to scripture.

-

3) The Eucharist, considered the reception and consumption of the actual body and blood of Christ.

Transubstantiation the eating blood and flesh of a human is added by the church in Rome and most likely (without further time consuming research) comes from one of the many ""feasts"" that Christians were admonished to not participate. The Roman church has be well known to alter and absorb traditions of the area they exist, just renamed the time and feasts or celebration to align is someway with cherry picked bible verses and obtuse exegesis.

-

The word "is" was and should be today understood to be the word "represents".

For example in Mattew 13:37-39 Jesus taught: “He who sows the good seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, the good seeds are the sons of the kingdom, but the tares are the sons of the wicked one. The enemy who sowed them is the devil, the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are the angels”.

Jesus uses for of 'to be' (is and are) to mean “represents” or “symbolizes”.

The sower is the Son of man, meaning of course, that the sower represents the Son of man. tares and good seed do not turn into children the teaching is ridiculous to the point of absurd.

-

4) Confirmation, a formal acceptance into the church along with special anointing of the Holy Spirit.

Confirmation is to join and agree to the beliefs. This is completely unbiblical. Either a person is or is not Christian. There is no conferring of the Holy Spirit by a confirmation process nor by the baptism of water..

John 20:22

After he had said this, he breathed on the disciples and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit.

Being a Christian

The baptism in the Holy Spirit is more than classes and belonging to a group. It is a full dependence on the Spirit for guidance and strength in all circumstances. As Jesus stated by every Word of God not by bread.

"The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control" (Galatians 5:22).

-

5) Anointing of the sick, performed by a priest using oil, anoints the sick person´s forehead and hands with oil; associated not only with bodily healing but with forgiveness of sins. When performed on a dying person it is called Extreme Unction (last rights, final anointing).

-

James 5:14

Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

and

The oil doesn't heal, Jesus does.

Nowhere is the office of priest given to a certain few.

-

6) Holy Orders, the process by which men are ordained to clergy.

-

About 200 A.D. two of the church's leaders, Hippolytus and Tertullian, revived the notion of a "special priesthood," with that title to be worn only by the clergy. By the end of the fourth century that office had been formalized, and the "laity" accepted second-class status in ministry.

-

7) Matrimony, which provides special grace to a couple.

The marriage bond is sacred.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Of course. For an example, here is Scripture for Penance:

Jesus commanded it.

Read again Matthew 16:19, which records Jesus’ bestowing on Peter the powers of binding and loosing (sins), which include the power of absolution. Then turn to Matthew 18:18, where similar authority is given to the apostles. Finally, look at John 20:22-23, the record of another bestowal of powers of absolution on the apostles, to “forgive” or “retain” sins.

Jesus never dealt with options. He bestowed this power with the intention that it be used.

Now, why did Jesus institute confession (the Sacrament of Reconciliation)?

Think about the nature of sin. Sin first of all is an offense against God. We can and should confess our sins privately to God. But what assurance do we have that we have been forgiven?

Apart from the Sacrament of Penance, our only assurance is our interpretation of words in Scripture. Foreseeing the human need for objective assurance, Jesus authorized His apostles, their successors the bishops, and bishops’ aids — priests — to give that assurance in His name.

Sin is not only an offense against God. It also harms those around us. Even what we think of as purely private sins deeply affects us and therefore inevitably affects the fabric of our relationships with others.

Imagine yourself standing beside a quiet pond. You throw a good-sized rock out into the water. You watch those concentric circles go out and out from the point of impact. You can’t see where all those circles go.

Sin is like that. We can never know who are all the persons affected adversely by our sin. We can never know how all have been harmed. We can never ask forgiveness of all those persons.

Nevertheless, we need that forgiveness. That is why Jesus authorized certain persons to speak in behalf of the community we have harmed by our sin, giving us their forgiveness.

• Tracy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

No, they are in large part deceptions carefully designed by men to place themselves in a position of power between a man and his creator. More like identify theft then legalism to effect control over mankind. God created man with an innate spiritual ability to commune with him. Required is faith and humility; not theatrical performances or emotional meetings and memberships conducted by professional priests and clergy. God has given us the ability and the equipment to make the phone call. Do we need classes and rituals to make the call? Do we need classes and rituals and doing little dances around our cell phones before we make the call? Martin Luther said it long ago. The just shall live by faith. Sacraments and meetings by Catholics or Protestants have never effected salvation or been sufficient to close contact with the living God.

• John S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There is too much biblilcal support for these things to list them all in one posting or give them adequate explanation.

Do you think that maybe you think there isn't biblical support for it, because you don't believe in them in the first place?

Though I'm Catholic..

My wife is Baptist and I went 9 years to a Baptist Private school

The thing that I'm always amazed at is that Protestants (non-catholic christians) always say "Where's the proof?"... "show me proof"

THEN when Catholics DO... they argue "that's not proof"

SO, that begs the question.. is it proof if it is found in the bible, OR is it proof if you happen to agree with them?

Likely the answer is BOTH....right?

Navigate to http://www.catholic.com and type the name of the sacraments in the left upper box. Search for answers from "This Rock" they usually have some pretty good explanations.

God Bless

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

According to the Bible, all that is required is to repent and be baptised (Acts 2:38). And if you're too old, too infirm or unable to be baptised by full immersion, then a sprinkling of water will suffice. Actually, you don't even have to be baptised - just repent and come to the foot of the cross for the forgiveness of your sins.

Jesus was himself baptised - and after his baptism by John in the River Jordan the Holy Spirit came upon him.

Jesus also told his followers to remember him when they gathered together and drank the cup of wine (representing his shed blood) and ate the bread (representing his broken body). This was when he introduced the new covenant.

It is the work of the Holy Spirit to convict us of sin and bring us to a place of repentance (before God) where you accept Christ Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. After that, the work of regeneration takes place to make us a 'new creation' in Christ Jesus.

Popes, Priests, Churches, Religions are all entirely superfluous to this saving work of Grace. It's between you and God, with the Holy Spirit interceding to bring you to saving faith in Christ Jesus as your God, your Lord and your Saviour.

Oops! Sorry! Forgot to answer your question! Only repentance and baptism are advocated by Jesus. Marriage is a God-given and God-blessed arrangement. Sacraments are made up by men and are not biblical. I don't think the word 'sacrament' appears anywhere in the Bible.

• CTTM
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yes. Off the top of my head I can not site them all but here is a link and a book reference:

"St. Thomas Aquinas discussed the biblical justification for the Sacraments in Summa contra Gentiles and Summa Theologica."

• 1 decade ago

THE SACRAMENTS OF THE TRUE GREEK ORTHODOX KATHOLIKOS (Gr. UNIVERSAL CATHOLIC CHURCH ARE OF THE ORIGINAL GREEK SEPTUAGINT BIBLE..

TAKEN FROM THE BIBLE

Following are verses commonly cited to support the Roman Catholic belief concerning the sacraments: “Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands." (2 Timothy 1:6). "Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God." (John 3:5). "not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit," (Titus 3:5). "that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word," (Ephesians 5:26). "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”" (John 20:23). "And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven." (James 5:15). "Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit." (Acts 8:17). "Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For My flesh is food indeed, and My blood is drink indeed." (John 6:54-55).

http://www.gotquestions.org/seven-Catholic-sacrame...

TRUE SEVEN SACRAMENTS CHRISMATION NOT CONFIRMATION)

http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/

ICXC NIKA.. FROM A GREEK ORTHODOX KATHOLIKOS ( Gr. UNIVERSAL Catholic ) FROM THE FIRST GREEK SEPTUAGINT BIBLE ( TRANSLATION AVAILABLE ON LINE :)

• 1 decade ago

This is why we have catechisms in some Protestant denominations. They answer stuff like this without having to re-ask these questions and re-answer them. Scripture proofs provided.

• 1 decade ago

You seriously don't know that baptism and holy communion aren't Biblical. Also, I imagine you won't be satisfied with any answers someone could give. I'm not Catholic but I get tired of seeing people pick on them.

• 1 decade ago

The sacraments are not Biblical as they are taught. These things come from traditions and not the Bible. The Bible is all authority and we should not follow traditions of sinful popes nor anyone else of this world.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.