Is a solid state (SSD) or SATA hard drive better in a netbook/mini laptop?

For the SATA the specs are 1.6 Ghz Processor, 1 GB DD2 RAM, 120 GB SATA hard drive, intel graphics media accelerator (GMA) 950 and runs on XP home.

For the SSD the specs are the exact same with an 8 GB SSD.

My main concern is with speed, will the solid state show any significant difference or is it going to be pretty much unnoticeable?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

SSD have lower power requirements, but have serious issues with fragmentation over time resulting is significant slowdowns. They also have been known to have a higher failure rate than their spinning counterparts. They are also more expensive. All of these issues wil improve over time as the developers get better at designing them, but for right now, I would stick to the standard platter drive.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Get the 160 GB SATA hard drive. The 16GB solid state hard drive is the same technology of the "flash drives" you can buy that plug into a USB port for file backups or other storage. In fact you can buy a 16GB flash drive for about $50 now. Get the 160 GB and use flash drives for any "extra" storage you need. I'm not sure if a battery upgrade is available for the mini netbooks, but if they are, a bigger battery would help for longer run times with the 160 GB hard drive. Enjoy!

• 1 decade ago

SSD requires less power, battery lasts longer. but the size is limited.

• 1 decade ago

it will be way faster but gets slower over time and has low capacity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.