Amanda G asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

i was misdiagnosed about pcos?

i was told 7 months ago i had pcos and now i found out i dont that i have cysts on both ovaries but i have alot of sighns of having it i have brown patches on my neck and one skin tag on my armpit and and carry alot of weight round my tummy and have a little body acne and thinning hair and a little facial and back hair a no period but my hormons and insalin and stuff is normal and tyroid is too all they found was i had a fatty liver and than they found out i had a hiatal hernia could those 2 things cause pains in my sides and under my breasts? can someone help me or give advise without rude comments thanxs also if anyone carrys alot of weight around there waste any style tips thanks

Favorite Answer

PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) is a hormonal disorder which affects 1 in 10 women in the United States alone. If left untreated it will increase the risks for high blood pressure, diabetes and even heart disease. This is caused "by the overstimulating effects of excessive luteinizing hormone (LH), a pituitary gland hormone. Women with PCOS are genetically insensitive to insulin." What do I know, well I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) when I was 17 years old. From experience, I can tell you that the brown patches, skin tags, excess weight around the abdomen area and hirtuism (hair all over the body) are pretty common symptoms. Now, you say that the physicians found your hormones and insulin levels within normal range, but I think this certainly contradicts the common symptoms mentioned earlier. A fatty liver can also be a sign of PCOS, if I'm not mistaken. Considering the fact that my mother has a hiatal hernia which hurts her at given times it could be possible that this may cause you some degree of pain as well as with a fatty liver. I strongly advise you to get a second opinion from a certified endocrinologist. This is your health you're dealing with and I would strongly encourage you to seek out proper medical care. I'll warn you though most of these physicians will prescribe a combination of birth control pills to regulate monthly periods, lessen acne and control the excess androgens for less hair along with Metforin, a medication used for diabetics to control blood sugar levels, but don't be fooled-- these medications only mask the symptoms and in the long run makes the condition worse. I recommend you seek out natural alternatives to these medications if you are currently taking them or if they are prescribed to you later on. I've read that "banaba leaf (Lagerstroemia speciosa) when taken at 16 to 48 mg doses per day helps lower insulin, blood sugar levels and reduces fat accumulation" because it contains the active ingredient corosolic acid. Just don't take if you are pregnant, nursing and its definitely not for children. Exercising also helps keep blood sugar in check, so try to do some form of moderate activity each day. Carbohydrates are a no-no and I'll tell you why-- carbohydrates convert into sugar (i.e. white rice, white flour, white bread, etc.) and this is not good for people with PCOS! Limit your consumption to complex carbs instead such as whole wheat bread, but try not to eat too much carbs as a nuritional diet plan based around high quality protein is essential. Today, I am now 19 and have since become a vegetarian which I find has ease the severity of menstrual cramps--eating plenty of soy products such as tofu or soy milk to name a few helps. Actually reducing your consumption of meat products will help you as long as you replace it with nutritious foods like beans, nuts and dark leafy greens. I truly hope this information has helped you in some way or form, but remember first you must get that second opinion in order to know how to proceed rightly on the matter! Be patient and take it one day at a time-- wish you the best in your journey...

Emily

P.S. If you are interested in becoming a vegetarian please visit The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' website at www.peta.org where you can get a free vegetarian starter kit, its really easy!

Source(s): Richard P. Huemer, M.D. article published September 2002 in Let's Live magazine.
  • Susan

You can have regular periods and have PCOS. It is a syndrome and not everybody has the same symptoms. It is always possible that you were misdiagnosed, but you would only know that by going to another doctor. Cysts can occur without PCOS.

Swap out your hamburger patty for any veggie burger.

uncover the calorie specifications

Begin your day together with eags beacuse eags consists of more health proteins

When making cookies, bake half the batch and scoop the others into ice-cube trays. When ones sweet tooth kicks in, pop out one and bake it to meet your craving without breaking the particular calorie bank.

Add veggies to baked items. You'll never even taste the particular zucchini in these brownies or the sweet potato in these types of cookies.

When producing cookies, bake half the batch and scoop the rest into ice-cube trays. When your sweet tooth kicks in, pop out one and bake it to fulfill your craving without breaking your calorie bank.

drink 3 cups of green tea extract within twenty four hours researchers claim it may boost energy costs

Exercising each morning as compared to night time