Ebay & Paypal .... Can I get Sued?

Here is the story. I sold a laptop for €600 on ebay. I sent the item and it wasn't tracked but a signature was required upon arrival. I started getting threatning emails that I was going to be sued by the buyer because he never received the item. I went to the post and the person who signed for it... show more Here is the story. I sold a laptop for €600 on ebay. I sent the item and it wasn't tracked but a signature was required upon arrival.

I started getting threatning emails that I was going to be sued by the buyer because he never received the item. I went to the post and the person who signed for it wasn't the same person I sent it too.

My package was insured for €400, which was the maximum possible. I am offering the seller a refund of €400 and then over a month or so, I would have to pay the rest off, with my wages. However the buyer says no and demands a laptop, and threatens me with a lawsuit.

This is serious. I live in Belgium and the buyer lives in U.S.A
does this make any difference.

What should I do, and can he really sue me if I return €400 at the moment and then the rest a bit later.