Julianna G asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

what should i do..neighbour is feeding my dog!!?

so.. my neighbour is feeding my dog her left over food... and last night my dog got sick from this food.

the thing is that my neighbour doesn't speak english and she looks extremely mean...

what should i do!!!

Favorite Answer

definitely don't let your dog outside without you.

you might also want to find out what language she speaks, and have this note translated by a translation site into her language:

Dear Neighbor,

i don't speak your language, so i had to have this note translated on the internet, so please excuse any errors.

while i appreciate that you like my dog, and want to give her food, i regret to inform you that she suffers from severe allergies, and eating the wrong kinds of foods can kill her.

if you would like to give her some treats, please come see me, and i will give you some dog biscuits that are approved for her special diet.

thank you very much for your kindness!

-your neighbor.

she probably comes from a country where all the dogs eat is scraps, and it's customary to give your scraps to the nearest canine pet. she probably doesn't know what she's doing is wrong.

p.s. "allergies" are the excuse i use to be polite when people want to feed my dogs. in reality, i just don't like strangers feeding them.

This was a very nice thing for you to do. I admire you for posting this and reinforcing why we regulars are here (I have been a regular since I made this account in early December, and I am so glad to call this my regular section. Believe it or not, when I had my old account, I was a horse section regular and Top Contributor. I actually really disliked this section at that time because I was SO naive! I did not realize that the heated emotions that come from regulars in this section are actually for very good cause, and i was just blind. I got into a lot of arguments with a couple of regulars in the dog section because I thought they were being really hateful and immature. Turns out I was the hateful and immature one for retaliating toward posts that were not meant to be hateful. I learned a lot and felt horrible for the arguments I caused, and I canceled my old account to get a fresh start.) I created this account when i got my puppy. I needed some advice and I decided to give this section a shot. I am SO glad I did. I have found that the regulars here give such amazing and useful information, and I owe all of my dog food choices to them! I learned the truth about Iams and other main brand foods, which I used to think were good. I got my puppy Taste of the Wild, and I now have been sharing dog food info that I have learned from this site with others. I feed TOTW to our 2 puppies currently 3x per day (but the lunch portion is a small serving, about 1/2 cup...we will be eliminating the lunch portion soon and moving to 2x per day). Thanks for posting this! I am happy to be a dog section regular :) You guys are awesome, really. I appreciate you so much!

She must be tossing it over the fence or trespassing.

Everyone can understand what no means even with body gestures.

Tell her or anyone else living there that your animal is on a special diet and the scraps are making the animal ill.

Thanks but no thanks.End the encounter with a smile and a thank you.

She likely isn't that mean & may think she is doing a good deed.

It's simple..you need to take responsibility for your dog since you can't presently communicate with your neighbor. What she is doing may be acceptable in the place she comes from. Regardless, you are the one who needs to watch out for your dog. Unattended, a dog can find lots of things to eat and/or do that he shouldn't.

I'm sure she's not 'mean' if she's feeding your dog. I would be upset if someone fed my dog, she's on a strict diet. But it sounds more like your neighbor is trying to be kind. See if you can get your own Translator or if one of her friends can translate and explain that your dog is on a strict diet and can't have her left overs. Maybe give her some of your dog biscuits so she can feed your dog a biscuit when she see him.

I agree with the person who said that you should find out what language your neighbor speaks, find a translation of what you want to tell her... but tell her kindly. Babelfish is a good program for online translation. You can maybe print out what you want to say so that it doesn't get lost in pronunciation.

No need to get up in her grill as you aren't even sure if she is doing this maliciously. Chances are, she thinks she is being kind.

find someone to translate and ask very nicely.

obviously she has a good heart but doesnt realize the food is hurting your dog. she would probably feel real bad if she inadvertently got him real sick.

and if she still wants to feed him give her a list of safe treats.

maybe shes just lonely and likes the company of your dog.

Can you get someone who speaks her language to speak with her?

If your dog gets very sick and you witness her feeding your dog, can you sue her? She may have fed your dog something poisonous to dogs (like onions).

dont let your dog go free on his own stay with him. or go to your neighbor and politly tell her that its very generous of her to feed your dog her left over food but he keeps getting sick and should have people food.

How did she feed it? How did she get to your dog?