Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Does anyone know anything about how and when the Native American genocide started?

I know Christopher Columbus came to North America in late 1942 but from what I can find on the genocide the killing started that year.

How did it escalate?

Favorite Answer

In a very simplified explanation: It started with the colonist bringing diseases (e.x. measles) from Europe, which the Native Americans were not immune to. Then the colonist wanted the land to themselves from the Native Americans, so they tried to move them off the land. Later in the mid-1800s, the government moved Native Americans to reservations, most famously in the Trail of Tears; which killed many Native Americans. I hope this helps.

Source(s): The mini series, Into the West is a great program to watch about the relationship between Americans and Native Americans.

Read about the Indian Removal Act from 1830. Also read about the "Trail of Tears" in 1838.