Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

is this an alright headshot?

also is there some tips that can help me practice headshots? I'm an amateur photographer. :)

Thanks.

http://i41.tinypic.com/vhvz46.png

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I suppose it would do for an album cover, but it doesn't flatter the subject very much. You have a hunched pose, the balance is off, and the light isn't in the eyes, but is on the nose, making it as big as the Hindenburg. The light also emphasizes a gash in the lip, the expression is threatening, and the subject is off-center in an unflattering way.

Did you shoot it of yourself in a mirror? Don't do that.

To make a flattering head shot you have to start with the feet. The subject should be sitting or standing with good posture, body turned about 45 degrees away from the camera. If sitting have the far hand on the knee, and the near hand on the upper thigh to give a "pyramid" to support the head. If standing, have the subject either stand flat, with weight equally on both feet, or for casual bend the front knee a little, and put hands in pockets with thumbs hooked out. Women should turn the near foot towards the camera, and a little farther forward. Turn the head towards the camera, lower the chin a little, and have the light coming in over your shoulder about 45 degrees to the left or right, and about 45 degrees above. Lower the lamp until you see its reflection in both eyes at about the 10 or 2 o'clock position. If the lamp is reflecting in glasses either lower the chin some more or have them tilt the glasses forward. Get close to your subject and crop in the camera for head and shoulders.

Remember, a good pose will work at any cropping, assuming the props and background are photogenic. You should be able to back out from a H&S to a full length and still have a good picture.

And while we're on the subject of props and backgrounds, ALWAYS LOOK AT YOUR BACKGROUND FIRST! Then put your subject in front of it. Nothing ruins a good picture than finding out too late that a tree branch is growing out of your subject's ear.

Source(s): 31 years as a professional portrait photographer.
  • 1 decade ago

No, it is not.

(Is the subject you, holding the camera?)

The problem is that the subject's face is distorted. That happens when the camera is too close to the subject, and the lens is too "wide". An extreme sample is this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/little_pooky/22941224...

Furthermore , survey the location. Your lighting is not optimal.

So let someone else take the photo (again, assuming that you took your own shot)--zoom in, and it will be better. Try it like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/little_pooky/36017304...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No its not. I am an actress and head shots should be simple. No hair or makeup just you. That pic typecasts you so you wont get jobs. The casting agent wants to see you as you are then they can see your versatility. Also use Sepia or black and white and nothing behind you. This looks like you took it yourself and it needs to look professional.

• 1 decade ago

The camera needs to be much much farther away from you (are you holding it?? bad idea) and you need a longer focal length so the face isn't distorted like it is. Color, lighting, everything else looks great.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The lighting works fine but you are using the wrong lens. It is a wide and when used so close to the subject it distorts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.