Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 1 decade ago

could you stab bullet-proof armor with a cutlass sword?

this question might seem dumb but i was wondering if its possible to stab through bullet proof armor with a cutlass sword

Best Answer

A cutlass would not have the tensile strength to penetrate a bullet proof vest, now a stilletto would have the ability.

Bullet proof vests are designed to stop the impact from bullets, as most bullets are designed for impact damage and penetrate due to a dull force. That is why armor piercing bullets, bullets that are designed with a very sharp hard point, can penetrate it.

While a cutlass was designed for slashing, it was not a strong stabbing weapon and would not have the ability to put enough force on the point. A short sword, Epee or Stilletto are designed for stabbing and not slashing so they have the possibility of penetration with a cutting edge. Especially the Stilletto which was deisgned specifically to penetrate knights armor.

no...

the new style bullet proof armor is made with kevlar

the weave is made very tight on the fabric to restrict a bullet

and since a cutlass sword is larger then a bullet it would not be able to penetrate the bullet proof fabric

• Rhonda

I think it's just as necessary for dogs to be protected, as it is for the humans. They're both "fighting crime", why would half of the equation be lesser than the other half? The police department an hour away [not for my town] has an accumulation of 4 police dogs, only one of them has a bullet proof vest/protection. They've been working on finding the funding's to get three more, but it's unfortunate that no one there cares to help. Heck, no one *here* cares to help, and they've come to this area numerous times for crimes being committed, and gang violence happening. Thankfully, it was a town over and not the direct town that I live in. Either way. I've tried fundraisers and collection cans in stores, but there are so many people that put their childrens' and friends' cans in every store in existence [from here to NYC, I'm sure]; that if the people have had to choose between helping out the police department with their dogs, and helping out a stranger's plea for their friend's mother's cousin's cousin's best friend's daughter's daughter's grandchild's pneumonia bills in South Carolina [we're in NY].

It depends on the level of the armor. I know that level IIIA (what police wear) is not made to stop a knife, or high power rifle rounds. A sword on the other hand....depending on the shape and size of the tip could be stopped.

No, it doesn't. I do think that the bullet-proof armor is made to be a shield, where not anything can pierce through it.

can someone answer mines?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200906...

Quite possibly.

No... but you could slash through it with a field knife, if you know where to strike.

no, seen it tried, it shaved right off