dr. L asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

taking longer time to lose weight?

Hi everyone. I have been working out for the past 2 weeks and have been hitting the gym for at least 2 hours a day. In the first week I lost about 9 lbs but the second week I've noticed that there's not as much weight lost as the first week. Why is this? I'm still working as hard.

Hi, I think there is nothing wrong with my metabolism actually i think i've increased my metabolism because I've been more hungry.

Some of the weight loss of your 1st week- was probably Water... And UNFORTUNATELY- our Bodies are pretty GOOD at slowing down their Metabolisms to account for the reduced calorie Intake (this is a natural "survival" mechanism...)... -So over time you're going to have to eat less & exercise MORE- in order to keep on losing weight... Still, don't get discouraged- you're off to a Good Start ! Keep up the good work ! :)

That happens a lot.

I went to the gym 4 times in a week & stayed for bout an hour & lost 4 lbs but then after it started 2 take a step slower.That happens because your fatty layer is so thick & it doesn't want it self to vanish so that's going to happen just make sure you eat healthy & keep exercising

Source(s): Experience

It depends on the strategy you're using. But you can safely lose between 1 and 2 pounds per week. As for how long before it starts to show, that's hard to say and it all depends on your body type. Remember that you won't notice it as much as other people will because you see yourself every day, so pay attention to how you feel. When you put on jeans right out of the dryer are they easier to slip on? Are you sinching your belt one hole tighter? Are your clothes feeling baggier than normal? These are all great indications that your efforts are starting to pay off! Good luck!

Well, you're not going to lose 10 pounds every week you're at the gym. The first week you drop all your water weight, after that, you start losing the actual weight you have.

Maybe you have a slow metabolism.

Also one thing might be that you are working out as hard as the other week, another thing is if you have been watching what you eat as much as the other week.

Don't be discouraged, go talk to a doctor if you need it.

There are multiple reasons:

1. you need to increase your workout as you get in better shape.

2. as you get in better shape and work out you begin to build muscle and if you work out with a lot of weights you will eventualy start gaining weight back

You most likely are gaining muscle mass at a greater rate than you are losing fat (it's not a bad thing). Just keep the crappy foods out of your system and you should do okay.

don't weigh yourself it will just discourage you, keep working out and after 2 more weeks you can start seeing changes, the body works strangely but will show results after a month of working out

If you watched The Biggest Loser, you notice that as they become slimmer, their weight loss lessens each week.

Keep in mind as you lose fat weight you will gain muscle weight.