Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearXbox · 1 decade ago

Can I use steam to clean out an xbox controller button?

I can't push the button in (LB). The back half of the button is fine, but the front half is sticky. I'm pretty sure I have to clean it out, but I don't have a screwdriver anywhere at the moment. Would it ruin the controller to try and steam clean the button? Would that even work?

Favorite Answer

steam would probably be a bad idea... you wouldn't pour water into your controller, would you?? then why would you choose to inject steam (another form of water) into your controller. It will just get everything wet and probably won't work. Maybe use a toothpick and some rubbing alcohol, or if that doesn't work, then wait until you can get a screw driver.

Try a damp cloth? If it's that bad, take the controller apart and clean the buttons individually in water. Do NOT use steam to clean it though, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of for cleaning a controller!

Use a q-tip and a toothpick, use a toothpick to loosen up the q-tip to clean up w/e fell off, and repeat till it's easier to press. Steam would leave residue on the circuit board and eventually short it out.

disinfectant wipe or a baby wipe will work i used it on my A button cuz it kept getting stuck and wasnt clicking anymore and felt squishy lol

yea, dont use steam like everyone else said.. use the q-tip, toothpick method

what steam would do would cause the curcit bord to separate and would be junked at that point