MacBook Pro hard drive discrepancy?

I just ordered a new MacBook Pro. According to the box, the computer should have a 250 GB hard drive. However, when I tried to install a program, it said there were 212 GB available out of 232 GB total. Is it normal to have this significant a difference between advertised hard drive and actual hard drive (250 and 232)? I considered that this might be because of the operating system, but I also thought that might be the 20 GB that appears to be used up since I have not yet installed any programs to the computer.

• Fred
    Best Answer

If you look at the fine print in any computer's advertised specifications, you will see that the storage capacity listed is the "unformatted" number. Once a drive has been formatted, it then contains the necessary "mapping" information that tells a computer where things are and where they go. Then, the computer OS is added to the mix, further taking up space.

So yes, there amount of space available on your computer's drive looks about right.

That's perfectly normal. Generally, people think that 1GB = 1000MB, 1MB = 1000kb, and 1kb = 1000 bytes. In fact, this is not the case. In 1GB = 1024MB, 1MB = 1024kb, and 1kb = 1024 bytes.

So if you take 250 x 1000 x 1000 x 1000 / 1024 / 1024 / 1024, you will find that it equals 232.83 GB. Take a calculator and try it out.

In addition, the reason why your computer has 212GB out of 232GB free, is probably because of the Mac OS, including any other programs that came pre-installed with the computer.

If you're asking why they might advertise a larger drive than what it actually contains, it's just a general advertising strategy to get people to buy something that seems better than it actually is. Then again, nearly all hard drive manufacturers and computer brands do this.

Source(s): Personal experience with computers

That's because your operating system takes up some of that space, and you won't get the entire 250GB. Also, some of that space is used for resource management no doubt. I have a Macbook Pro, and mine's the same way. I don't get the entire space.

And so, you were right about the operating system, but also may include resource management and other scripts most likely. You probably won't to consider virtual memory, too.