How would this quote from Thomas Jefferson square with Obama's health care plans?

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

Thomas Jefferson

36 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Accurate.

That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves. Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson

The republican is the only form of government which is not eternally at open or secret war with the rights of mankind.

Thomas Jefferson

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows us that as a government grows, liberty decreases."

— Thomas Jefferson

• 1 decade ago

I agree that our government is trying to make us dependent on them. What ever happened to hard work? With Obama's redistribution of wealth there will be even fewer people who will work hard which will mean more people will be depending on the government. Obama's idea is to raise taxes on the rich but what if those same people are supplying jobs for people? Killing them with taxes while letting 50% of the population paying nothing will at the least force small businesses to lay off employees or close their doors.

As for healthcare every state has a program for healthcare coverage for children. So if a child has no health insurance it may be that the parents have never applied for it. It is so easy for the government to make a broad statement without much backing. There are also a number of people who chose not to pay for health insurance.

I live in Massachusetts and we have mandatory healthcare but there are still people who have no coverage. The cost to the state has doubled in the last few years.

The government needs to get after the insurance companies to improve and reduce but the government needs to stop trying to take over everything.

• bwlobo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I think some conservative should change their given name to Thomas Jefferson... and only use quotes from Thomas Jefferson. He'd be voted into office in a heartbeat!

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government."

Source(s): bwlobo
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Thomas Jefferson couldn't have been more right. Obama will never come close to Thomas Jefferson in intellignece or ability. Jefferson was a great American. Obama is an inept disgrace to the presidency of the United States.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I guess it's possible that Jefferson was wrong.

The Government takes care of Americans by providing Law Enforcement, Military Protection, the Public School System, Consumer Safety, Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting, Disease Control, Regulating Interstate Commerce, Childrens Protective Services, and a couple of other things.

If Jefferson was saying we shouldn't do any of those things, he was wrong. Most of those tasks have been done successfully for decades.

Now, the Government might have to become involved in Health Care, because our current system is starting to break down.

• Sean
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If Thomas Jefferson saw any way we could be controlled by the governments actions he was against it

• 1 decade ago

The problem is that too many Americans today expect the government to take care of them. When Jefferson was around, Americans took pride in working hard, take care of themselves and their families and striving to do better. Now, many people living in this country sit back, don't want to work and just keep their hand extended for the government to fill.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The free-loaders in American would rather rip up the freedoms of all for some "free" things sponged out of the government. they are basically thieves trying to steal money from taxpayers through petitioning the gov. they can't come and steal your money outright, so they resort to the gov to do the dirty work.

Since Jefferson, Gov has become doctor to the sick, father to kids of single moms, shelter for the junkies, cash cow for the lazy and those who fake disability.

• 1 decade ago

Excellent

• Curt J
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Not at all. Unfortunately, the Demolemmings will probably view it as just another slam against Obama (Not realizing that Jefferson has been dead for around 200 years).

Source(s): Just my opinion
  • 1 decade ago

First of all, Obama is not going to bring in universal healthcare, a fact that many people (including those who voted for him) seem not to realise. He wants to make insurance more available to all.

Second, of course universal health-cover sucks. That is why we in Western Europe have it. We think, hmm, our healthcare system sucks. I know, lets keep it. I guess that is the same with Japan and Canada as well.

FACT - the USA spends more on healthcare PER PERSON than any other nation on the planet.

FACT - the US has higher death rates for kids aged under five than western European countries with universal health coverage.

That means that a dead American four year old would have had a better chance of life if they were born in Canada, France, Cuba, Germany, Japan etc, all of which have universal health coverage.

So when faced with those facts, I think Thomas Jefferson would want healthcare for all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.