Erika
Erika asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

What are some interesting freshwater fish to have?

I have a 27 gallon tank that I'm setting up to get fish for next week. And I'm not sure what to get? I do have a heater so it doesn't need to be cold water, but I'm looking for interesting fish. I would prefer a betta, but then I'd have trouble having other fish due to fighting.

Baymast, I know all about tank cycling. I've had fish many times before. How does it sound like I know nothing about fish? Don't comment unless your going to actually answer the question.

• Ghapy
    Favorite Answer

Wow, that's great that you would prefer a betta.

Betta's do very well in community tanks and it's a myth that they kill other fish. It's just that they are a little territorial so there needs to be space, and 27 gallons is plenty. Just keep in mind betta's don't like big open spaces, so a well planted tank is a must, especially in a tank this size. Aggression problems usually stem from a lack of space, and in your tank even a feisty betta would work well with other fish.

Since we don't have to worry about the betta's aggression, our concern is his own welfare, since he's got splendidly nippable finnage that slows him down. We don't want feisty fish like serpae tetras or barbs in our tank, and excitable fish like danio's are best avoided. Forget anything aggressive like cichlids and 'sharks'. Gourami's are also territorial and best avoided with the betta.

Calm schoolers like tetras and rasboras make great tankmates, as well as peaceful bottom dwellers. Remember to always keep schooling fish in groups, the more the merrier. Think bigger groups, less species.

Source(s): 15 gallon planted Betta tank 8 cardinal tetras, 4 corydora cats, 3 otto cats 1 male betta. The tank was disassembled after 6 years, when the betta died.

If you are just now setting up the tank, it will not be ready next week. Your tank needs to be cycled, which can take up to a month or more.

Bettas only fight with Bettas, or fish that resemble Bettas (like Fancy Guppies). You have to be more concerned that the other fish are not fin-nippers.

Just from your questions, it is obvious you know little to nothing about fish, no offense. The best thing for you to do is go to a book store or library and get some beginner's books on aquarium keeping. You need to learn about cycling a tank and keeping the water healthy for your fish. I also suggest a book or two about Bettas, and/or common aquarium fishes. The more research you do, the better your chances of having a successful aquarium.

Source(s): Fish and Betta keeper for years.

At your local aquarium store the owners can help you decide what fish will be compatible. If you want a wide variety you would want to buy fish categorized as "community" fish. There are many varieties and you can select those that look most interesting to you. Male bettas are usually very aggressive and so you probably wouldn't want to keep one in such a large tank as it might attack other fish, but it's possible. Here's a bit from the wikipedia page about keeping a betta in a community tank:

Compatible fish of other species: Hobbyists put Betta splendens in tanks with other species after careful research and preparation. Common tankmates include platies (moons), Corydoras catfish, and loaches. Females can share a tank with danios and tetras, but males should not be kept with these species as they tend to nip at their long fins. Shrimp are popular tank-mates because, provided with sufficient natural plant cover, they keep the tank clean without causing stress to the bettas.

The success of a betta in a community aquarium, however, is largely dependent on the particular betta's level of aggression. Whereas some bettas make wonderful community fish, particularly belligerent or skittish bettas are best housed alone. Bettas are very aggressive towards long-finned fish, the guppy for example.

I think many angels have great color, you might look at those.

I've always been a big fan of chiclids. They are kinda temperamental and aggressive but they recognize the feeder very quickly and are fun to watch.

I suggest you go on this site that has a list of tropical freshwater fish from A-Z with pictures :D

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/a-z_comm...

guppys,eon tetras, and any other thing u like