Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

How would you rank the following in terms of religious freedom: Arabia, Persia, Turkey, NortAfrica, & Pakistan?

North Africa--YA spacing.

:-D

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Of those nations, only Pakistan and Turkey are democracies (well, at least more democratic than the others listed) so only in those two nations is there freedom of religion for all religions. Although in some parts of Pakistan, such as the northwest regions, the people are pretty much just lawless, and as the government doesn't have much power in those regions, the Taliban may have an influence and the Taliban pretty much only allows Islam as a religion.

Here's some quotes by the earliest leader of those nations:

"In any case Pakistan is not going to be a theocratic State to be ruled by priests with a divine mission. We have many non-Muslims --Hindus, Christians, and Parsis --but they are all Pakistanis. They will enjoy the same rights and privileges as any other citizens and will play their rightful part in the affairs of Pakistan."

-"Qaid-e-Azam" Muhammad Ali Jinnah

"The religion of Islam will be elevated if it will cease to be a political instrument, as had been the case in the past."

-Mustafa Kemal "Ataturk"

However, with Pakistan it is notable to point out that if there is any religion that is discriminated against, it would actually by certain sects of Islam!!!!!!!!! The Ahmadiyas and the Sufis are often seen as heretics by the some of people of Pakistan if not by the government.

There are many countries in North Africa, almost all of them majority Muslim countries. All of them will at the very least tolerate the "people of the book" (Christians and Jews). I believe that in most countries, there is freedom of religion for all, as many of the the Muslim countries in North Africa were based on Arab Nationalism and the Ba'ath Party, which was a secular movement devoted to modernization, secularization, and the abolition of Sharia law, which had previously been present in these countries.

In Iran (Persia), since the Islamic Revolution of 1979 the only religions that are tolerated are Islam, Christianity, and Judaism as they are "religions of the book" according to Islamic Teaching although Zoroastrianism is also tolerated in Iran as the religion is indigenous to the area. The religious freedom of some Jews has been compromised sometimes in the past as some Jews were accused of being Israeli spies, but every time this happened, they were acquitted, and it hasn't happened for a while now.

There are some religions that are not tolerated in Iran or even persecuted in Iran are Bahais, as well as Ahmadiyya and Sufi Muslims. Followers of these faiths are worse than the "Infidels" as they are seen as heretics to Islam.

When you say Arabia, I am assuming you mean Saudi Arabia, Saudi Arabia would probably be the one on this list that is least tolerant of other religions as there are no houses of worship for any other religion besides Islam in Saudi Arabia. Christians may be allowed into the country of Saudi Arabia but would not be allowed to practice their faith. Saudi Arabia has stated more than just a few times that they will not allow a single Jew into Saudi Arabia, although some prominent American and Western diplomats who are Jews have been allowed to go there, such as former Secretary of State, Henry Kissinger.

Other Arab countries besides Saudi Arabia are probably more tolerant of other religions than Saudi Arabia as they are much more Secular.

So I guess the best way to rank them is probably....

Turkey (Most Tolerant)

Pakistan

North Africa

Iran/Persia

Saudi Arabia (Least Tolerant)

There are many other Muslim countries in other parts of the world that could also be considered such as in Southeast Asia and other places in the middle east you have not mentioned.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First of all Arabia is not a country.Most Arabic countries have religious freedom, expect for Saudi Arabia.Since Turkey is a secular country, I think it's the most tolerance toward religion.Sure Pakistan has laws supporting religious freedom,however many of them if not all of them are not accepted by the main stream media. Some of the wost beating toward woman and not religious persons take place in Pakistan, therefor I think Pakistan is the less tolerance toward religious freedom. Persia is an Islamic country, however many Persians enjoy living in the country. Iran is not the best country in the region,nevertheless it's more tolerance than Pakistan.

You can never rank those countries accurately. Based on my experience, I have lived in two of those countries I think ::::

1) Turkey>>>most tolerance

2)Arabia

3)North Africa

4)Persia(Iran)

5)Pakistan

• 5 years ago

1. Turkey 2. North Africa 3. Pakistan 4. Persia 5. Arabia

• 1 decade ago

What is called "Arabia" has different countries with different laws. Persia is not a country, so there are no Persian laws. Turkey is secular and there is the same freedom as in the US. North Africa has different laws for different countries. Egypt has the same religious freedom as Europe, but Algeria and Libya do not. I have never been to Pakistan, so I can not say first hand, but I have been to all the other regions/ countries you listed.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

1) Turkey

2)Arabia

3)North Africa

4)Persia

5)Pakistan

Many people who think Arabia has less religious freedom are brainwashed,sure there is Saudi Arabia, however it's not the only Arabic country.

Source(s): A global studies student.
  • 1 decade ago

Sounds like a homework question.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.