what are the basics stuff you will need to know before you start a mechanincal engineering drafting course ?

things i should know before hand. basics stuff..and what kind of work it gets you...please live your answers..thanks

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Prior to taking any drafting course, other than a basic interest in art, a course in Photoshop would be most helpful.

You will frequently need to use it on whatever raster drawings (PDF, TIFF, etc types of files) or photographs that are attached to your drawings to to clean them up or alter them for the designs or presentation covers. Photoshop, to some extent functions like most drafting programs, but without the dimensioning and level of accuracy as far as scaling the designs.

Above that, you should be proficient in math and computers. Mind you, I'm saying "proficient" not Bill Gates.

How much math you need is based upon how far you go in your chosen field. If you remain a pure drafter, then some basic geometry and math is all you'll need. The computer programs (AutoCad or MicroStation) will do most of the computations without your spending too much time on them. Should you choose to become a designer, you will may need some calculus, but the vast majority of what you'll need to learn in that case would be learned on the job.

As far as jobs as a drafter, persistance with your job search will get you the position you want, but an eye for detail and an almost anal attention to it, will keep it.

The best drafting fields to go into at present would be those that look toward the future.

Ex: Environmental engineering, Electrical and Green (Renewable) Energy. Why these fields? Because we will always need electricity and power as well as our increasing need to clean up the environment. Focus on those fields as a drafter and you will always have a job.

Source(s): More than a decade as a CAD Drafter with civil and electrical engineering firms in New York State
  • 1 decade ago

These days you don't need to know much for a basic course. Usually you will be working with a 3D software such as Solidworks or Pro-E. To use these you just need some basic math, geometry and computer experience, very basic. Additionally, you will have to deal with drawing objects viewed from different perspectives, understanding drafting symbols and other concepts, and the proper way to present a drawing.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Realistically they usually don't assume you know much, I wouldn't worry as long as you keep up with the assigned work.

I took a Drafting course in high school but they retaught everything from the most basic concepts.

Source(s): 3rd year mechanical engineering student, took 2nd year drafting course
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.