Question for those who have had babies very close together.....?

My son is 9 months old and we've just found out that I am pregnant with another child (this was very unexpected, as I've been on birth control since my son was 6 weeks old). We weighed the options and decided to have this child, bringing our total number of children to 4. We have my daughter, who is 8, my BF's son, who will be 8 in September, and our 9 month old son. My question is, if you have had two babies very close together - how did you do it? How did you force yourself to get organized, how did you cut back on costs, how did you bring your family together to be ok with it. Any tips, etc would be GREATLY appreciated. I am scared/worried/nervous..... Help!

Oh, and we don't know how far along I am yet - I only went to see my doctor to ask why I didn't have my period yet.

Sorry - neither of those stores exist in Canada.

Favorite Answer

My babies are close in age too, 16 months apart. My daughter was 7 months when I found out I was pregnant..so not too far off from yours. Its a lot of work, but (after the initial shock) I really love having them so close in age. You figure out a routine that works for you pretty quickly, out of necessity more than anything else. If the older 2 are able to help a bit here and there, thats great too! My friends 6 year old helped out a lot when she had her youngest. I save a lot of money by breastfeeding and using cloth diapers part time. We use disposables when we go out, but since I'm a stay at home mom, Its easy enough for me to use cloth while I'm here and the new ones are just as easy to use as disposables. Any stores where you can buy in bulk help as well. When we had to switch my first daughter to formula, I was able to get BIG cans for only 19 $ instead of almost 30. I'm hoping to nurse my son as long as I can, because that stuff is way too expensive! lol. Also, since babies grow so fast, I do a lot of clothes shopping for them (especially my youngest) at resale shops like "once upon a child". I can get great deals there, many of the clothes are name brand and they are picky about what they take, so most of it looks brand new..infact some are, I bought my son some pants the other day with tags still attached! They also will pay for your used baby items, so as my children outgrow things, I can take them in and get a check or credit to get some new stuff. Websites like freecycle, or Moms like me, also have forums where you can get baby items for free or cheap. Planning meals for the rest of the family and planning to use leftovers to make new meals can also go a long way to help save. We had a roast one night, and cooked an extra one up at the same time. It was reincarnated as enchiladas for another dinner and then sloppy joes for another lunch. Since the meat was already cooked, it took no time at all to prepare. I also just found this meal planning/coupon widget thing I am hoping I will be able to use to start saving money at the grocery store too, I'll put a link. We also just cut 40$ off our phone bill a month, and another 20 off the cable by switching carriers. Research deals, and see what works out for you. My brother uses magic Jack, a phone line that works with your computer, and its only 20$ a year. There are a lot of ways to save..and I'm in the process of learning too :) Congrats on your newest blessing, wish you the best!

We have three kids who are almost 7, 5, and 7 months. Our older two are 18 months apart, which is the age difference you'll have between your son and the baby on the way.

It isn't easy sometimes - especially because 18 month olds LOVE attention, but newborns absolutely need it. To be honest, it was almost heartbreaking at first that I couldn't give our son (the older one) the same amount of attention that I could before.

On the other hand, there are so many good things about kids close it age. Our son has always loved his sister and he loves to teach her things. He's two grades older in school and he likes to tell teach her things in advance - and she listens so intently to him it's just so sweet how they act together.

I often worry that our youngest (we're not having any more) won't have the same kind of relationship with her brother and sister because of the age gap. But then when I think about it, I have four siblings myself and I'm very close to my sister who is the oldest of us, and is 6 1/2 years older than I am. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoy the little ones together and everything else will fall into place.

Hey dont worry im pregnant with number 6 my husband had a vasectomy almost 2 years agao and this is the second baby since then i have a 2 year old a 9 month old and im 2 months pregnant dont worry things do get better and you will have lots of help with the older kids you just do what you gotta do....take care and things do work out trust me!!!

well i dont have kids yet but i have millions of brothers and sisters..(okay 10) 6 of which are younger than me and very close together in age..i also have over 10 nieces and nephews that are close in age too..my mom actually graduated high school with 3!..just try not to worry..u will do just fine..even though costs and things like that might be an issue u will surely make it..just try to budget now and figure out costs and expenses..definately use stuff from your other pregnancy such as baby clothes and the bassinet etc..just dont worry..just think about about how fun it will be with two babies..

I totally get you. Here's a treat for ya! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsbVopxbOcA

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

don't worry about it... people over worry everything. accept things for what they are and do what you have to do.

buy in bulk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aldies and sams club are great.

as the old saying goes, if you don't NEED it, don't buy it.