Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Have you ever been to Baghdad?

I'm wondering what Baghdad is really like (not just what is shown by the media) and how safe or unsafe it truly is. If you've been there and don't mind sharing your thoughts/experiences, please do. Thank you!

Favorite Answer

Dont really know what you are looking for in this question...but I will try to answer it as best as I can...

Baghdad or Iraq itself is very hot...I was there in 03-04 and then again in 05-06...it got anywhere from 120 to 150 degrees.

The smells there are very unique...nothing smells very good there...

Sand gets everywhere...but its not like sand that you may be used to picking up on the beach...its more like a brown powder..and if you happen to get rain or snow...(yes believe it or not it does snow in Iraq) it makes things very muddy and weighs down your boots quite a bit.

I wish I could tell you that some of the people there are nice...I personally havent had that experience...there isnt a one of them over there that I would trust....I have had alot of friends over there killed or permanently hurt from RPG's..IED's...and small arms fire in general.

There are alot of sandstorms over there...and you can see dust devils on a daily basis.

Baghdad itself...we have quite the post there...is nice...alot better than it was...you can fish in the lakes surrounding the palaces...the pools are open now...you do have flushing toilets in most places.

Along some of the routes such as Scandia...you can eat some of the local dishes that the Iraqis eat and its not bad...you can get alot of bootleg DVD's there.

Iraq just doesnt hold alot of good memories...I mean it does with those I have served with...you have to know Soldiers and Military in general will make the best out of a worse situation most times...but mostly remember it being painfully hot...remember we are in Stryker Vests...ammo...weapon...ACH's...so that just adds weight and heat...sometimes are really quite boring other times you wish for a moments peace.

When I was there we did alot of convoy escorts...cordon search and seizure...escorts of VIP's...so we got to go from Mosul...to TQ...Ramadi...all the way to Arifjan Kuwait...you put in alot of miles in 12...16...or 18 months.

Sorry I cant give you more...sometimes these questions are the hardest to answer...somethings you just have to experience for yourself to get the full benefit of your question...although I would never volunteer anyone for Iraq for the sake of curiousity.

Hope this was useful.

Source(s): MP Iraqi Veteran 03-04 05-06
  • HDH

Beautiful old city. Try to get up in the mornings before light (if you're not up already) and listen to the morning Call to Prayer and then watch the sun rise. If you're lucky you'll be on one of the camps with canals and buildings, much nicer than the dust/gravel atmosphere in places like Tikrit.

I don't know how dangerous it is anymore. 05-06 was one long gun battle between Sunni and Shia militias. I've heard they've chilled out considerably since then, and my second tour, up north, was a lot calmer. But I also keep an eye on the ticker, and there's been some suicide bombs and a some U.S. personnel killed in IEDs in the past few months, so I wouldn't call it "safe" exactly.

Source(s): Twenty seven months of my life in that country

Hmmmm.... why grow to be it quite trouble-free so you might make the play on words that we've been Bushwhacked, even though it under no circumstances got here approximately to you to assert that Baghdad grow to be Saddam-ized? Why do people blame Bush for the deaths in Iraq, whilst under no circumstances asserting that the deaths are completely brought about by using the terrorists who won't obey the democratically elected government of Iraq? do no longer assume that Iraq will finally end up badly. Our popularity could be slightly tarnished, yet we nonetheless have the main suitable, the brightest, and the main technologically stepped forward people engaged on making Iraq the main suitable fulfillment tale. no person had faith in Reagan whilst he desperate to convey down the Soviet Union, yet that became out extraordinarily darn nicely, do no longer you think of?

I've benn there recently and been home for one week. Iraq is now safer ever than it was in the early years. Some places are not safe at all. One of my many experiences was being so damn close to an I.E.D(improvised explosive device) exploded on the lead humvee of my convoy which was only 1 foot away from thew humvee I was in. Also, the days are long and hot. A couple days 'fore we went to the airport My platoon was assigned on a classified mission.

Also, Baghdad is still a hotspot.

I'll be deployed back there in two weeks again.

Source(s): 2nd lt. in the marine crops.
  • Bill

I was there in the Summer of 2003, so it's been awhile.

The city itself has some nice architecture, especially Saddam's old palaces. However you can see these amazing structures next to squalor, where some people don't even have plumbing. The people (who weren't shooting mortars) seemed very nice, and I met some interesting people.

hickamflyboy is a blatant liar. He is a sophomore in high school (look at his questions asked). I hope he knows it's a felony to lie about military service.

Hickamflyboy, you haven't even left home yet.

Source(s): US Army SSG 82nd ABN DIV