Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is homosexuality more a medical than a religious question?

Update:

HUMAN GENOME PROJECT: COLLINS ;: : "..... the likelihood that the identical twin of a homosexual male will also be gay is about 20% (compared with 2-4 percent of males in the general population), indicating that sexual orientation is genetically influenced but not hardwired by DNA, and that whatever genes are involved represent predispositions, not predeterminations."

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Specifically speaking, it should be a neurological question. Brain structure between heterosexual and homosexual males differs in most cases. It is estimated that the hemispheres of the brain communicate 33% more in homosexuals than in heterosexuals and that in most cases, neither hemisphere is dominant. Homosexuals are believed to be 23% more likely to be left-handed. Finger-print and hair swirl patterns differ greatly. One Canadian study even boasts a 96% accurate detection of sexual orientation based on brain scans.

While genetics seem to have little if any role in determining orientation, it has been found that in sets of identical twins where one party is homosexual, the other party is homosexual up to 70% of the time.

Also, if you ask any homosexual, they will likely tell you they did not ever choose to be gay. Why would they dare say such a thing? Because they probably never did.

In terms of looking at homosexuality from a religious perspective, it is useless; homosexuality is never mentioned the Bible. Leviticus was addressing shrine prostitution, 1 Corinthians was addressing pederasty, Romans was addressing lust, and likely referencing Leviticus, and Sodom was destroyed for greed.

If you want more information about this, you can visit my blog, where I discussed homosexuality in scripture to great length.

http://old-catholic-musings.blogspot.com/2009/04/t...

Source(s): I am a Catholic Seminarian and Former Protestant Minister
  • 1 decade ago

It is a biology question. Exists in nature, always did and always will. It is humans who has the "problem" with this realization. Society, religion, belief systems get in the way of "nature" of sex is. Look at other animals, and see just how prevalent it is. Animals make no issue of it.

Though I am not homosexual, I also understand that not everyone has the same sexual likes and dislikes. That in itself is ok. I focus on other topics.

• 1 decade ago

Neither.

Sexual orientation, sexual desire, sexual interest - whoever we may want to engage in sexual activity with - is some poorly understood result of innate predispositions and experience. That applies to heterosexuals as much as anyone else.

That isn't a medical matter. It certainly isn't a religious matter.

• Bob B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Neither.

The DSM- essentially the "psychology manual" for professionals- does not recognise homosexuality as a mental illness (in fact it doesn't recognise any sexual behaviour as a mental illness unless it causes harm to the patient or those around them). It is therefore not a mental issue.

Likewise, I do not see how religion has any say in the behvaiour of other people. I'm straight, but I have no right to force anyone else to be- for any reason.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

"Properly" classified as a mental illness? Bigotry is a thousand times worse, but hateful trolls can't realize that, can they?

It's more of a question of how much society can accept homosexuals. Just like that answer above, it's people like that that cause all the problems, not the homosexuals.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's not a "question"

Is having black skin a medical condition?

It's not a mental disorder, or a medical condition or an accident of nature "too much" or "too little" hormones, its a natural sexuality, like straight or bi, like brown or blue eyes.

It is only a religious question as religion gives them the power to be bigots legally.

• Mosa A
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yes ,but also

Both of them

Read Rom 1:26:32

26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's more about biology than medicine but it has nothing to do with religion other than giving christians an easy way to be bigots.

• 1 decade ago

It's neither! It's just a persons sexuality, it's not a medical condition and peoples sexuality is nothing to do with religion!

• Rasa
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

To fireball... yeah right! when was the last time you were TEMPTED to be homosexual? It's not like gambling where there's an actual payoff that can tempt.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.