What do Americans REALLY think about the Canadian health care system?

Just some interesting topics of conversation stemming from the summit between Canada, U.S. and Mexico.

Would you like to see reform the health care system to that of one similar to Canada's?

The Hospital for Sick Children is just one example of an institution that accomodates children with severe diseases from all over the world.

And yes, a Canadian will go to the US for a procedure to be done quicker, if they've got thousands of dollars to spend on it.

So then its ok for most individuals that can't afford health insurance to go personally bankrupt, even for the most essential of medical procedures?

The waiting list for most medical procedures are not as long as most might think.

An MRI is not a one-year wait. It can be done in less than 2 weeks, especially in the cities. And it's covered.

Favorite Answer

I think, that if Canadians come to the US for first-class care, but Americans do not go to Canada, it's rather obvious which country has the best over-all system.

The difference between Canadian Health care and American Health care is Canadians get it and Americans don't. I know this is an over simplified statement but this is an extremely complicated subject. Have you ever seen a mating ball of snakes? This is the American Health Care System, which is really not a system at all. It is a hodge podge of of vaguely related medical services which has almost no cost controls. The United States is the only industrialized country in the World which has a mess like this. The reason that this is the way it is is because unless one is dealing with Medicare which is a Socialized System or Medicaid which is its neglected step child the United States has a completely Profit driven system. This will change within the next ten years. It will change because it has to. The current structure is completely unaffordable now and will get worse in the future. As to your question on the particulars. Different plans pay for different things. They also exclude certain things or charge deductibles.

As a Canadian I feel that Americans often get wrong idea about our health care system. For example, I have never had to wait longer than 45 minutes for anything, even just to see a doctor about a cold. Also, I just booked an MRI for next week, all I had to do was call. In the US I would have to pay, here it is completely covered. And guess what I pay for my Alberta Health care coverage- Nothing! Not one cent. Why? Because I make less than $30,000 a year. Even if I did have a higher income the cost is really not a lot. I think my boyfriend pays something around $20 a month.

I find that many Americans also believe that we receive second rate care here because we can not choose our doctors. That is completely not the case. We have just as much choice as they do. And as far as doctors not making enough money to truly care about the quality of care given, well that is just laughable. Our doctors are incredibly well paid.

I have heard of canadians traveling to America for certain medical procedures but they are usually elective procedures, such as cosmetic surgery. I love our healthcare and would never live some place where how much money you make dictates the level of care you receive. To me that seems incredibly immoral.

I'd like to know more about it. From what I've heard, other than waiting time for non-essential procedures, the biggest problem is lack of services out in the territories. Most of the Drs are in the cities.

Natasha Richardson....died because Canada does not use copters for transport of critically injured people. She turned brain dead while going to a bigger hospital in an ambulance.

In the USA only 4% of people with serious head injuries die. In Canada it is 21%....That about says it all.

The better question is...what do CANADIANS think about it?

From what I hear, its OK for preventative care and daily stuff....but if you need a serious intervention, you are on a waiting list a mile long, and those are the ones that come to the US instead.

I hear the wait time for an MRI is 1 year.

Sounds like a winner!

It sucks, just like the UK's NHS, where they let you die from things that any good neurosurgeon could save you from in the USA.

Their health insurance sucks.

I've experienced both and the U.S. system is far superior.