Is it justified to honor Havey Milk Medal of Freedom posthumously?

He is the only one this year honored posthumously. Are there any candidates you can think of that are more qualified than him?

I agree that homesextual is not a crime, but a person should not be given special honor because of his sextual orientation either. Again, my question is does he really deserves it?

Favorite Answer

who the hell is this Milk guy?

• Zach

Yes, it is justified that he was honored posthumously and it is far outdated. He should have been honored many years ago. You can always find someone that may be more qualified than him, it's really a matter of opinion anyways but he is deserving of it and it is about time he received it.

Edit: Without looking up Harvey Milk I would like you to answer this question; what did Harvey Milk do to make him so famous? I bet you will be unable to accurately answer this question. He didn't get the medal of freedom simply because of his sexual orientation. He got it because of the advancements he helped to create and the things he did while in office.

From the wikipedia:

It is designed to recognize individuals who have made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."

Now I'm quite sure you might have a problem spelling 'meritorious' without the google so I've done it for you.

The question begging to be asked is this:

Who do YOU think should be awarded this honor in lieue of Harvey Milk, posthumously?

Who should be honored for "an especially meritorious contribution to . . . cultural or other significant public or private endeavors?" who has not already been recognized for their devotion to freedom, regardless of how 'base' or 'disgusting' that freedom might be to the rest of us?

Homosexuality is not a crime. It's not a choice. It's simply a state of sexual preference.

You may agree or disagree as you see fit, but you have no right to mandate your own way through legislation, just as I have no right to mandate that you be a practicing born-again christian.

Harvey Milk should be awarded. Harvey Milk stood up over persecution and intimidation from people who despises people of homosexual nature. Remember, homosexuality is not a crime. I don't see why people doesnt' want homosexuals to be awarded because of their bravery towards persecution and standing up to show that they want civil rights, like the same with MLK, Jr. We cannot judge homosexuals harshly because Christianity doesn't condones it. Harvey Milk should be awarded, and that's a fact. Love him or hate him, you have to respect him.

Source(s): www.wikipedia.com/harvey_milk