nopm asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Why Is Ted Kennedy Receiving A Military Honor Guard?

He was never President. He was *just* a Senator, and I really doubt that there is a law or statute somewhere that says Senators receive military honor guards. This is just because he was a Kennedy.

Favorite Answer

He is buried at Arlington, because the regulations for burial there, include serving senators and representatives who were honorably discharged from the US military.

From 32 CFR Ch. V (7–1–97 Edition) § 553.15

(e) Persons who have held any of the following positions, provided their last period of active duty (other than for training) as a member of the Armed Forces terminated honorably:

(1) An elective office of the United States Government.

(2) Office of the Chief Justice of the United States or of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.

(3) An office listed in 5 U.S.C. 5312 or 5 U.S.C. 5313.

Kennedy was honorably discharged from the US Army after serving his two year active duty service commitment.

Well, he was in the Army in the 50's. Last I heard anyone that served Honorably got a military funeral. Jackass.

Arlington has become a bit of a joke to get into in the past few years. I served with some **** up in the Marines who killed himself in Iraq. Literally shot himself in the head, two weeks before we went home and because his uncle knew John Kerry, guess where this cowardice MF is buried?

I'm not taking away from anyone else that's buried there, I just think that's ****** up.

He is a veteran of the United States Army, honorably discharged. All veterans are entitled to the Honor Guard. Even the ones not named "Kennedy."

Well it is ******** if he is buried in Arlington. But an honor guard is for anybody who served in the military and was honorably discharged. Because in November of last year my grandfather died of cancer and he was a Huey Machine Gun Doorman, he didn't die in combat or anything. But he got the Honor Guard at their to give us the flag.

• Spidey

To answer the question, he served in the Army from 1951 to 1953.

To light his eternal flame at Arlington, they'll probably strike a match to his liver.

My grandfather and other members of my family served honorably too, but they don't get to be buried at Arlington.

If anyone is confused that fame and wealth buy privilege in the US, don't be, it does.

They did get a military honor gaurd though, so I certainly don't begrudge him that, he served, he deserves it.

i liked the answer about driving him off the bridge in the car though...)

I think they should put him in the back seat of a car and then drive it off a bridge.

Freedom isn’t Free Someone had to Pay for it!

Ted Kennedy didn’t pay a cent for his!

Ted Kennedy buried at Arlington Cemetery?

That desecrates the graves of the brave men and women buried there that died for their country not those who apposed America!

Ted Kennedy was a pain in the a s s for America and an aid and comfort to America's enemies.

Semper Fi

• ?

You may be right. You may be wrong. The thing is he was a great man.