Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

I am a openly gay male and I am want to try out for my high school's baseball team?

I am a openly gay male and I am want to try out for my high school's baseball team but I am afraid of being discriminated against. Any tips?

If I can play baseball I wouldn't mind being a ball boy as I just want to be associated with the baseball team in some way.

Favorite Answer

What ever people are telling you like that idiot Sophia, they are lying too you. You will be discriminated against and there nothing you can do about. You can complain and ***** all you want won't make any difference at all. That being said here's what you should do. SUCK IT UP! This is america everything in this country is about color, religion and beliefs and people will be discriminated until the end of time. So you want to join the baseball team? Then join, but you will face discrimination just like every other person who's ever tried to do something others don't want them to do. A black man is the president after all, you think everyone in this country is happy about that?

• Elaine

sadly, there's really no way you can be involved in sports if your gay without being discriminated against.. if you're uncomfortable with words like ****** and gay, and you're uncomfortable around gay jokes, then that's its not a good idea to join any sports. half of the jokes made during practices, games, etc. include gay jokes and other things. It is probable that your teammates and coach will not like you that much because you're gay. i know it sucks but that's the way it is in sports. they might call you a *** or **** if you play like ****, and if you were ball boy they would make fun of you even more especially since you are gay. and then after if you made a big deal out of it (you being made fun of), that would only motivate the teammates to make fun of you even more because of your sexual orientation. I guarantee you, most sports teams will treat anyone who is gay like this. I know because I've played baseball, basketball, EVERYTHING. Everybody on my sport's teams makes fun of gay people (including me unfortunately i can't help it sometimes). sorry man that's just the way it is.. and imagine having to change in the locker room with them. the way they might look at you.. ughhh. if i was you and i really wanted to play the sport and had a passion for it, then i wouldn't give a **** what other people would think. but im just saying.. expect discrimination because if you're teammates are mean enough, you will get so much **** from them. trust me

Go for it!

Here's my take. I'm a jock, by every definition of the word. Played football in college and still keep in top shape. I compete in very competitive adult recreation basketball and baseball teams. All my closest friends are also former jocks.

We, and by "we" I mean jocks, do not care if you are gay, straight, tall, short, black, white, Asian, etc. We care about how good you can play and also your personality. You will get made fun of for being gay, but I promise you it's good natured. Back in school, I was made fun of for being Asian a lot (from the language accents to the small you-know-what stereotype to anything offensive they can think of). Of course, I took it as "they wouldn't make fun of me that offensively if they didn't feel comfortable around me." It's no different than me making fun of my white teammates for not being able to jump and my black teammates for being criminals and rapists.

Point is, these ribbings are all good-natured with NO bad intentions behind them. I suspect you'll be treated similarly.

NONE of my close jocks friends nor I would have any problems with a gay teammate. This is something I've talked about in the past. My advice is to blend in, take AND give offensive jokes, work hard and have fun. That's what high school sports are all about!

If you go out for the team to play ball, fine, go for it, if you go out for the team to be with the boys, then don't. I have a feeling that you just want to be with the boys because you are willing to be the ball boy. Ballplayers, like most everyone else, will accept you if you give it your all on the field and contribute to the teams success. If you can hit .500 or throw a 95 mph fastball for a strike on the inside corner at the kneecaps you can be gay, purple, and have hairy palms and everyone will cheering for you.

Listen, your lifestyle choices are your own business, so just don't run around saying "I'm Here and I'm Queer" and chances are you will be just fine. Also, don't flirt with guys that you know are straight as that will just turn them off to you. Try out for the team or do what you can to be involved, there will be people who will love you for it and the people that are small minded and prejudiced will have the opportunity to find out that you are not just gay, but also a good person that deserves the best in life just like everyone else does.

• If you are really good at baseball, i would say go ahead. Dont do for attention or try to raise the cause or whatever, do it because you love the game.

Dont be a ball boy, saying that is just silly and would only serve as a distraction.

I have played for 20 years, I dont care who my first baseman does in his private life as long as he hits.

Trust me, you'll be fine. They can't be as cruel as you think. If you still feel nervous, you can ask the coach to keep an eye on their behavior.

Side note: I really respect your openness about something like that in a society like this, and to be willing to overcome discrimination to play a great sport like baseball. That takes confidence and character. Take a star, my friend.

You know what baseball isn't about sexual preference.. if you can rip the heck out of the ball or pitch like no other then who cares?! People who think its a problem can have it. You can try out its no biggie. If you want to do it and you love the sport who's stopping ya?

dude theres 2 things wrong with you being the ball boy...

1. nerds and other ppl like that do it (ppl who arent athletic)

2. ppl will make funny of u if they know your gay because u being the "ball" boy if u no what i mean.

but ya just tryout, if anyone gives u sh!t they can get in a lot of trouble for it