What other book can I use to compare to Les Miserables for an essay?

I need to write a comparative essay for my english class by the end of the semester. I really want to compare Les Miserables to another book, but I don't know what one I could compare it too.

THE OTHER BOOK HAS TO HAVE BEEN WRITTEN BY A BRITISH AUTHOR OF THE 16TH-19TH CENTURY.

It cannot be The Great Gatsby as was the answer to a similar question because that is a curriculum novel this year.

Best Answer

Victor Hugo also wrote The Hunchback of Notre Dame which, although a bit of a downer, is fascinating. Here's a link to a brief synopsis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunchback_of_Notre_Da...

Source(s): Wikipedia!

I tend to avoid comparing Hugo and Dickens, because of the way that people seem to think that they are the perfect comparisons, based solely on the fact that both authors wrote about the plight of the poor. The telling difference is in how the stories end. Dicken's novels don't seem as realistic to me. Scrooge wakes up from his dream, Oliver gets adopted into a loving home, Pip finds peace in his pining for Estella... Yet Jean Valjean dies. Javert dies. Fantine dies.

So I would have to say Silas Marner, by George Eliot. Although Silas Marner is shorter, and more simplistic than Les Miserables, the love that Jean Valjean felt for Cosette has always reminded me of the love that Silas Marner felt for Eppie. And yes, Silas Marner is a "happier" book than Les Miserables. But in the joy that these two characters find in their "daughters" I feel the stories are evenly matched.

Hope I helped!

Source(s): Les Miserables is a huge, huge obsession with me.

Maybe try "A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens. It was written around the same time as Les Miserables, it's by an English author, but it's set during the French revolution with the two cities being London and France. It might give an interesting view on how and English author is viewing a French conflict.