why do some people think Jazz sucks?

Is Jazz that bad?

Favorite Answer

Jazz is an acquired taste. I love it and have since my teens but at first it just sounded like noise. Then one day it was like a Rosetta Stone in my head, all of the notes made sense, I understood the songs were in key and on daring musical adventures.

Others cannot be bothered to listen. I had a coworker who was a country fan who swore all jazz musicians were "sh*t players who don't know real music."

Sigh.

~

If you have to "get into the right mindset" to enjoy any genre of music, it sucks. Jazz is aimless, chaotic, pretentious drivel. good music draws you in effortlessly. People I have known that claim they love jazz are somehow of the misunderstanding that they are more intelligent if they listen to jazz. False! Jazz is antiquated. Any music you snap your fingers to as part of listening to it is silly and frankly embarrassing to me for those doing it. Music has an ebb and flow. Jazz just chaotically bounces all over the place and no one can ever play the same version twice. It's improve, and not in the good sense. Just read some of the pretentious crap others have posted here in defense of Jazz. It's total BS. Pretentious and you can almost see the person writing it having their nose in the air. Probably snapping their fingers. If you can't hum a tune it's not music. I'm an intelligent adult up to here in music all of my life. Jazz and Rap are at the bottom of the barrel as far as music goes.

I hope that I don't sound as if I'm a snob,but unlike some other forms of music(i.e.,a average rock tune),jazz has a depth and complexity to it that takes a little bit of forethought to understand.Most people who say that jazz sucks haven't really did the research that it takes to really understand all that is going on.I know this from years of trying to teach young musicians how to play jazz(I'm a professional jazz musician/educator).Many of the students who I've worked with have had the attitude that jazz is toooo hard(i.e...thay don't want to have to THINK!!!!).As a result,without taking just a little bit of time and effort to really get into the world of jazz,they don't approach jazz with the right mindset.

As far as just an average person,they want a "right now,easy cookie cutter"type music.To take in jazz,you really have to get inside the music and break it down,and analyze it.People are just toooo lazy nowadays to do anything that has to really engage their mind,and not be passive.Television is to blame in a way for our short attention spans.So is the average 4 minute rock song.

I don't mean to sound like a snob,but I've been on both sides of the issue.At first,I wondered how I would ever uderstand jazz.However I had a willingness to want to learn how to listen and play jazz.Yes it took some effort on my part,but the results were well worth it:I've been blessed to have played in jazz bands,combos,and at jazz festivals.

Another note;I play classical,blues,and gospel music.As much as I love these types of music,I feel that the REAL me comes out when I play jazz.

To conclude:jazz does not suck,but it does take some thought to be able to understand this beautiful american art form.

Source(s): Jamey Aebersold's products:jazzbooks.com

Most people who say that probably just haven't heard it. It's the same way when someone says that they hate all rock, blues or country...usually, they've never even heard one real song from that genre! Well, either that or the genre just doesn't appeal to them which, in all honesty, still isn't a great reason to say that a genre sucks.

Personally, I love blues, jazz, country and rock.

EDIT: Also, if a musicians says they hate jazz, it might just be that it's simply too difficult them to learn how to play...and, honestly, jazz is very difficult to play! To me, jazz and country are perhaps the two hardest genres to play.

Because they can't comprehend something that isn't monotonous, one toned or without lyrics. The best kind of music has soul, creativity, breaks all barriers and improvises. The problem I think is that it's viewed as a more archaic music form, as it is not relatively contemporary. I find it to be a travesty that Jazz is continuously denied any part of the top charts.

To be honest, Jazz is the only genre I have not given a listen.

But after reading some of these answers...I think I might give it a try.

people say jazz sucks because they've never listened to music, they dont even know what music is. people say something sucks when they lack self confidence and self esteem. they try to convince others that something sucks to reinforce authority and make them appear as the top dog, which is what hold up their self esteem. jazz is a creative form of music, so you could say it is the best in terms of that. personally i think jazz is the best type of music and the most fun to play.

So many men so many minds.

I like Jazz very much.

well some people are close minded idiots!

joking, kind of. but that's like asking why everyone doesn't like sushi or something like that. i mean, everyone is a unique individual and life would be so boring if everybody liked the same thing. but to answer your question, no, jazz isn't "that bad" it's FREAKIN' AWESOME!!

because they aren't amazing like we are!! LOL:):)

i think that part of it is that they've never played jazz before. A few years ago, i really didn't like jazz music, but now that i've played it myself, i love it. You have to have played it before to really appriciate it, i guess. :)

hope i can help!!!