Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelLatin AmericaOther - Latin America · 1 decade ago

Will I need a Visa to backpack Argentina, Chile, Peru for about 2 months?

I intend to backpack for about 2 months starting in Argentina to Chile to Peru... Will I need some sort of Visa?

Favorite Answer

Depends on your citizenship.

U.S. citizens will not require visas for Argentina, Chile or Peru. For Chile, you will have to pay an entry tax of US$131. This will be stamped into your passport once paid and you will be allowed to enter the country. The entry tax is a retaliation against the U.S. as the U.S. requires visas for Chilean citizens and charges them $131 to apply for one.

The only nations in South America that require visas for U.S. citizens are Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Suriname.

You will have to pay departure taxes when exiting Argentina, Chile and Peru. This is usually about US$20.

Source(s): Have visited Argentina and Chile in 2004.