Transgender Laws in Canada?

What are the discrimination laws regarding Transgender people in Canada?

What are some Canadian Transgender advocacy groups?

Favorite Answer

Haha, thanks for the shout out Jill!

This is a shocker actually... there are no laws that specifically protect the trans community in Canada. At all. I was under the impression there was, but we actually have an "assumed" protection under the term "sex" in the Canadian Charter.

Overall, whenever I have faced some sort of denial or aggression based on my trans status, it was dealt with as a human rights violation rather than a hate crime. Places with a larger population are more aware of the fact they can't hate on a community for being different.

I don't know of any big groups specifically for trans rights in Canada... apart from those that are associated with the rest of the Rainbow Community too. Oh, and the Canadian Task Force for Transgender Law Reform... or something like that...

Pretty much the only political activities I am aware of on a national level are the battles against provinces de-listing SRS from their health plans. And the constant fight to take SRS approval out of the hands of CAMH (previously the Clarke institute).

Hope that helps a little... I'm not exactly an active advocacy guy... *shame!*

Source(s): Canadian Transman, me.

I believe the transgender laws in Canada must be pretty good. I know they help pay for SRS so there must be some protection.

Better than here in the states. Which is still basically you don't have any. Here in mIchigan You can be fired on the spot for being trans. No questions asked.

You need to track down Jay B and talk to him. Hes from Canada and has been working on transitioning there.

Source(s): life bi-transgender
  • Mike K

Hello,

It looks like there are no special particular laws that either help against discrimination against the transgendered or help transgendered people in particular since these people would fall under section 13 of the human rights act anyway. It looks like there hasn't been enough interest or complaints to date.

Example:

A group that includes AIDS P.E.I., P.E.I. Native Council and the Abegweit Rainbow Collective is calling on the P.E.I. government to do more to protect transgender, transsexual and Intersex Islanders.

The group launched a petition Thursday calling on Attorney General Gerard Greenan to include “gender identity” to the provincial Human Rights Act.

But David Larter, executive director of the Human Rights Commission, says transgender Islanders are already protected under Section 13 of the Human Rights Act, which now includes a provision that says no person shall discriminate against an individual because of sex or sexual orientation. He said Ontario’s code does note that sex does include gender identity, which is not specifically spelled out in P.E.I.’s law.

“But if someone was to walk in the door right now and if they were to file a complaint, whether it was transgender or whatever, that would fall under our Section 13 under sex,” Larter told The Guardian.

“Would they be able to file a claim under the P.E.I. Human Rights Act? Yes, they would.”

Ontario’s Human Rights Code says people who are discriminated against or harassed because of gender identify are legally protected under the ground of sex, which is similar to P.E.I.’s laws. But Ontario goes one step further, clearly spelling out that this includes “…transsexual, transgender and intersex persons, cross-dressers, and other people whose gender identity or expression is, or is seen to be, different from their birth-identified sex.”

Mark Hanlon, executive director of AIDS P.E.I., was one of a handful of protesters in front of Province House Thursday calling for equality for all Islanders. He said transgender Islanders do face discrimination on a regular basis.

“A lot of transgender youth end up moving off-Island, to Nova Scotia or Ontario, where it’s a little easier,” he said.

Hanlon would like P.E.I. to specifically protect transgender Islanders, much like Ontario.

“Many provinces in Canada provide that protection,” he said.

Pam O’Neill works with a group called Hep’d Up on Life, a hepatitis C awareness program that is hosted by the Native Council of P.E.I.

“Aboriginal people are 10 times more likely to be hep C/HIV positive,” said O’Neill. “The Native Council is here to support people because those stats are similar for both the transgender and the native population. It’s all about equality.”

A spokeswoman for

the Office of the Attorney General says they take their direction from the Human Rights Commission and to date there have been no requests to adjust the Human Rights Act.

Larter said he sees no need for legislative change. "

Cheers,

Michael Kelly