Is it okay to be afraid of dating?

This is probably a strange question, but I've always been a little nervous about dating. I have only ever had one boyfriend ( it ended a while ago ). I am in my first year of university and I have now realized things are going to be very different than in highschool. I'm used to making friends and then after a while, you might date sort of thing. But it seems it might be harder to get to know someone and spontaneous dating seems to be pretty common.

Anyways, I think what I am most afraid of is the guy trying to sleep with me. I've promised myself that the only person i'll share myself with is the man I will marry.

Tell me please how I could go about dating?

(( Note: i DO want to date. I just don't want to be physically hurt in the process. ))

• wilson
    Favorite Answer

You'll never find that man you say you'll marry if you never date, right?

And if someone tries to sleep with you and it's unwanted, you do what the rest of us do and say, "Sorry, nope!"

Innocent dating gives you an idea of what's out there for you. You don't have to take it so seriously. Don't accept a date with someone you completely clash with, of course, but give people a chance if they're kind and seem interesting.

I believe that most men in college that ask you for a date will want to sleep with you. Most guys do that...and the expectation is that it happens by the third date. But you don't need to be afraid of that fact. Here are what I believe the steps you should follow to accomplish your goal. 1. Don't be afraid to date, but be very selective of who you date. 2. Avoid the spontaneous date and the blind date. Unfortunately there are guys who will want to have sex with you and if given the opportunity, and might force you to have sex. 3. Join an organization on campus that shares your values. You will be more likely to meet men that are compatible with yours.

It is unlikely that you will end up marrying a man that is a virgin.

Sure, it's okay. Some people, we men especially, seem to have so many expectations, and it must be terribly frightening for some women. There is a whole list of the ways people are "supposed to" act. It's daunting to this day for me, and I'm 55!

I try to remember to be courteous, respectful, and to respond positively at all times to the needs of the woman, and everything usually turns out okay. For me, it's all about showing a woman a good time--that does not mean that she has to make all the decisions on where we eat or anything. It simply means to put her needs and desires above yours.

As a woman, expect to be treated with respect, to have both of you be mannerly, and to enjoy yourselves with whatever you both decide to do. If he is not respectful, or makes you uncomfortable in any way, perhaps you can have an "emergency plan" to back out, by having a family member or friend come to your rescue, pick you up and bring you home, or whatever the situation may call for.

Women are raised with these thoughts and quite rightly so but although it does happen very few actually get raped. Most guys are ok and don't push things if you say no. There are guys around who don't even try until after a few dates. You are a girl so use your sense when you go out on a date.

hey wats up?

Just talk to some guy you like and ask him out on a date. Its not hard but by what you are telling us, it seems that you are the one who doesnt want to date.

I think many women make a mistake when they make themselves a huge promise like this. That is a huge promise you made, and that promise is hindering your dating opportunities.

yes its ok to be afraid of dating i remember my 1st bf....ii was so nervous that it would be messed up that .....well i messed it up...yes i agree,,remeber JUST SAY NO!

• Elly M

yeah it okay.