Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Would you do something special if you ever finished the novel you're writing? (Read Please) (:?

Say, when I finish writing my novel, I'll get a tattoo. The writer of The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger dyed her hair red to pay tribute to Clare, the main character in her book.

A friend of mine, who published her book and had her main character die of leukemia, had shaven her head completely.

Many writers who have been through thick and thin with their novels and finally came to the end of a very long journey (writing, not the publishing bit. That's another loooooong story :D), have done something special to pay tribute.

Would you ever consider doing something like that? And if so, what would you do?

Favorite Answer

I actually thought of something like this a few months ago, when I remembered the intense effect one novel had on me (I cut my hair the night I finished it, and went into a small depression that lasted a week). My main character is going to die at the end of my novel, so I had wanted to get a tattoo of a lamb (her name means lamb and it's her animal representation in the novel) on my back.

I think it's neat when authors do this, it shows true dedication and a strong bond they had with their work :)

I haven't read your story, but may I suggest you ask yourself if YOU want to finish it, rather than make your decision on what your readers think? Only you can know for sure if you like and are enthusiastic about your writing---if you like the story you discovered in your head and wanted to tell in the first place. If you're feeling unsure or unsatisfied with what you have, re-read what you've written and see if you can find the exciting ideas that prompted you to write, then think of what would make you want to keep reading, and see if you can write on from there.

I have finished a novel before. Just this year, actually. And I'd been working on it for about three years. Actually, it took me about six months to actually write it, but I worked on it on and off. (Actually, actually, actually. Annoying, right?)

I was excited to finish it because I'd had a horrible track record before. I would always start a story, but never get to finishing it, even when I was only a few chapters away from the ending. When I finally finished the novel, I celebrated with my family. We didn't do much, but it was still a celebration. My younger siblings tried throwing me a party, but that didn't really begin well or end well.

Nice question.

Umm ... no.

I have a lot of trouble accepting that the manuscript I am working on is complete. I always think there is just one thing that I could go back and alter. One thing become two, two things become three ... and before I know it, I am working on another draft. Eventually, I get to the point where I accept that although my work is not perfect, there is nothing more that I, the writer, am capable of doing to improve it.

And to be honest, getting to that point depresses me.

• S.

I'm going to dance around, hands shaking. Act like a physo (spelling?).

Does that count?

I'll be happy when I finish, but I'm not going to do anything as rash as get a tattoo. I'm too chicken.

Now, that you brought it up, I guess. I probably would, hopefully something that has to do with my story ( i'm in the writing process, still need a plot).

Thanks for the idea. :) I'm going to plan a tribute, well, if i finish it.

I probably would, because I've never been able to actually finish one of my stories! Starting is so much easier!

Well, probably not, because it would involve building a house of corpses...

• John

I don't know if I would. It just depends how emotionally attached you get to your story and the characters.

http://ca.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Am...

no....i mean it's just a book,why do something like that.......but it deapends i guess