Starting a website question?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I want to start a social-network-like website, and i need ot start it soon. With functionality similar to digg.com's, but way less features, what would the cost be to have a ...show more

Other Answers (4)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • answered 5 years ago
    As you may know a domain name is just a name, not a real website. If you are going to create your website: 1- Buy a domain name. A domain name is a name you want to call your website (ex: www.yahoo.com). To get a domain name, you have to pay an annual fee to a registrar for the right to use that name. 2- Buy a web hosting service to provide your online space and enable you to get your website online at your purchased domain name.

If you want to start your website I recommend purchase your domain and hosting together. In this way it is possible to get your domain for free. Some hosting services offer this gift today.

As an experienced webmaster I recommend BH web hosting which I’m sure it would work for you and fulfill all your requirements. They have a really great offer for hosting & I have used them for over 3 yrs now, and have never had a single problem with them.

You can reach reviews about this web hosting provider and its latest DISCOUNT COUPONS at:

http://threehosts.atspace.com/reviews/1s...

They also offer "Free Site Builder" that helps you build your web pages without difficulty if you are not skilled in using any website creating program. (WYSIWYG: What You See Is What You Get) You can use this service optionally. You can also create the pages offline with your favorite program (DreamWeaver, FrontPage, etc.), and then upload them to your web host. This is another easy way to get your website online.

******IMPORTANT********
    * This service was awarded “The Best Web Host OF The Year”.
    * If you sign up for this service you will have $75 credits to advertise your website with the google & yahoo search engines for free!
    * You Can Register A Free Domain or Use Your Existing Domains. They Support All Domain Names.

Another useful link:
    http://threehosts.atspace.com/build
    There you can find a step-by-step guide to start your website.

Hope This Helps.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • answered 5 years ago
    This does depends on the level and skill of the developer that is writing the application, plus you must consider time to deliver the application and time to quality control.

On the cost you should also consider structure for servers and a designer. Most developers will do some design, but if you are looking for something up-scale you probably will need a designer to create a mock-up of the application.

You can ask the developer to sign a contract of confidentiality, therefore this will only force the developer to not reproduce the application in the exact content, which doesn't usually helps. You can ask a lawyer for more info in this point.

Anyway, in a good scenario you will be spending a developer year salary to get the first phase of the project out of the door and even if you use a framework as base, you will probably take about 3 months to get a first phase done (don't rush it, just makes it worst).

As advice I would suggest you to use a framework like Zend Framework since you will be using PHP & MySQL.

Source(s):

• Rate
    • Comment
  • answered 5 years ago
    There are existing digg-like solutions out there already, most of which are freely available and use a PHP MySQL framework or is built on a CMS system like Drupal or Wordpress. Do a search for "digg clone" and see if you like any of them.

If you want to build out a custom solution, I suggest you look into the freelancers at Elance. These are journeymen developers and you can hire them by using a quoting system. In your project description, be sure to mention that you retain all the intellectual property from his/her work and that it can't be reused or redistributed. Draw up an agreement and have them sign it before starting the work. You can set your budget in the description as well. The price you should expect to pay depends on how much work you expect the developer to do and how soon you need the work done so it's hard to nail down a figure. Also, note that Elance deducts a portion of your final fee for themselves as operating costs, between 6.75% and 8.75%.

Source(s):

• Rate
    • Comment
  • answered 5 years ago
    It would depend on the developer, and would vary greatly depending on the kind of features/functionality you want.

Before you go paying someone to build your site, check a site like http://hotscripts.com for existing ones you can just install and possibly tweak. Even if you have to pay for the script it will still got much less then developing one from scratch.

To develop a website like Digg, would cost thousands of dollars. You can probably outsource it for cheaper, however unless you know the technical terms your going to have communication issues, even more then the inherit ones of dealing with someone who has a different primary language then you.

Lastly, you would need to have them sign a nondisclosure agreement to cover then not talking about your ideas to other people, etc. And either include in that agreement something about you retaining all rights to the source code of the project.

They could still use the code on other projects unless your expressly forbid it.

Source(s):

4 years of freelance website development.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block