Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Survey questions: 1) What do you like about the R&S section of Yahoo Answers?

Here are some survey questions, just to see who are the people participating in this section. If you feel uncomfortable answering a question or don't want to answer specific questions for whatever reasons, please skip ahead.

1) What do you like about the R&S section of Yahoo Answers (if anything)? What is that draws you in here?

2) What is your age range?: a) 13-19; b) 20s; c) 30s; d) 40s; e) 50s; f) 60s; g) 70s; h) 80s

3) What is your gender? a) male; b) female; c) transsexual/transgendered (probably no one here is; but we live in a diverse world)

4) Are you a atheist, agnostic, pantheist, or theist (if so, are you a Christian, Jew, Muslim, Buddhist, etc.)?

5) Where do you base your morals/ethics from? (ie. society?; religion?; faith?; parents?; moral philosophy?; etc.)

6) Does talking about religion (yours or another religion) bore you or excite you?

7) What is your highest level of education and what did you study?

8) Do you think science is compatible with religion? Do they blend together in a compatible way? Or are do you believe that they operate as "Nonoverlapping Magisteria"? Or are they directly opposed and say different things and conflict with each other? Or what do you think?

9) Do you know the basics about evolution (1st - 2nd year undergrad basics)? If the answer is yes, please BRIEFLY answer 1,2 or all 3 of the multiple choice questions(you don't have to go into full details - just say something that is pertinent to the question and shows some knowledge)?

a) Do you know the difference between evolutionary psychology and evolutionary biology? If so, what is it? (not a arrogant question; I just want to see what knowledge base or what is going on the minds of the people here; this question also functions as a lie detector, if you will)

b) Is there a difference between sociobiology and evolutionary biology? If so, what is it?

c) What is the difference between sympatric evolution and asymmetric evolution?

10) Do people pick on you (mock/insult/etc.) because of your faith/religion/lack of religion? And/or do you pick on people because of their faith/religion/lack of religion?

11) Which country are you from?

Thanks for answering!

FSM, no homework here.

Brief answers will suffice. They can be straight to the point; they need not be well written or well-thought out. (This survey is about who is on YA!; besides, most of the YA answers here are more coffee-talk quality than academic, expertise quality) . As for 9, if someone is wrong, I will point that out.

CorruptedSpirit,VT, AM Associate

thanks for answering! you have interesting answers

but 9 a) is wrong; b) - they are the same thing and it all started with E.O. Wilson, just a new name

9 b)

I actually misread the question I wrote. But your answer is still wrong. There is no difference between evolutionary psychology and sociobiology; but there are fundamental differences between evolutionary biology and sociobiology.

Favorite Answer

My Ans: Gives me a chance to share the love and the word of God with others. I can use notes and studies that I have done throughout the years to respond to a lot of the questions especially about the summaries of the bible itself.

My Ans: late 50s

My Ans: female

My Ans: I am a Christian.

My Ans: religion, faith, and society.

My Ans: it excites me because I love the Lord

My Ans: General studies like English, History and Business Mgt (Community College) and then I went to Bible College.

My Ans: Science can and has proved many of the events in the bible but not all. They can blend together in a compatible way, however religion relies on prophecy, revelation and faith while science relies on observable, repeatable experiences. Therefore making some issues still debatable today especially about the universe, creation and health issues.

Ans: There is no difference between evolutionary psychology and sociobiology. Evolutionary psychology applies the same thinking to psychology.

My Ans: Yes there are fundamental differences. Sociobiology is a synthesis of scientific disciplines which attempts to explain social behavior in animal species by considering the Darwinian advantages specific behaviors may have. Evolutionary biology is a sub-field of biology concerned with the origin of species from a common descent and descent of species, as well as their change, multiplication and diversity over time.

My Ans: Deals with gene duplication that has different outcome. Asymmetric evolution (one copy evolves faster than the other) is usually seen as a signature of neo-functionalization. However Sympatric speciation does not require large-scale geographic distance to reduce gene flow between parts of a population.

My Ans: No I try to avoid that whenever possible. I have not had any problems so far. I pick and choose what questions I want to answer.

11) Which country are you from?

My Ans: USA

1) The lulz. This section is hilarious.

2) A - 18

3) B - FEMALE. Everyone on here thinks I'm a guy for some reason.

4) I'm an atheist that attends Unitarian Universalist church.

5) Society, parents, my own experience.

6) I am excited to learn about religions and discuss morality but I am a horrid debater, so I have no interest in that aspect.

7) Highschool. I'm currently doing a one year Certificate of Art and Design. I hope to get into an animation program in the future.

8) Science explains things that exist, religion doesn't. As far as I'm concerned science trumps religion.

9) I know the highschool-level basics, I am no evolutionary biologist, lol!

10) Not in real life, for both. I discuss, I don't ... well, not purposefully... insult.

11) Canada

• 1. The community. I'm fed up with the silliness and retarded questions asked here all the time, but I do like most of the R & S Regulars.

2. a) 13-19

3. a) male

4. atheist

5. society, parents, personal standards, culture etc.

6. sometimes it excites me, sometimes it bores me

7. I'm currently in high school, first year.

8. To me, science and religion conflicts with each other, and so should be kept separated.

9. I know the basics, whatever I gleaned from Youtube videos and internet articles.

No, I have little idea about all three of the questions, and I don't feel like researching now. I haven't studied about evolution at school.

10. Some do. I don't pick on people based on their religious preferences or lack of it.

11. Bangladesh

That's a lot of questions.

1. My favorite part is when I find an honest question looking for help and I'm able to give help.

2. Turned 20 today.

3. Female

4. I generally answer agnostic, but technically, agnostic atheist.

5. The golden rule, society, parents.

6. I find it to be very interesting.

7. College drop out. Studied psychology for a little while. Going back next Fall to give it another go. (Psychology again.)

8. I think it depends on the individual's views. For mine, I didn't feel the need to keep religion.

9. I don't know as much about evolution as I should, really. I can't bring myself to read the books I bought, for some reason. I do know what I consider to be the basics. :)

10. Not really.

11. US

• 1. I like that here I can express my love for Uranus and I love the friends I have on this social networking.

2. I'm 20 but I wish I was like 15.

3. Last time I checked, I'm a girl.

4. I'm 49% Mormon and 51% Norricist.

5. Family, religion and Borat.

6. Well, it depends.

7. I'm a college sophomore (need only 1 more credit to be a junior) and I'm a Communications major... if you're really interested, I was a Biology major on the pre-med time but it was taking so much time from me that I couldn't log in to YA and ask questions in R&S, so I switched to a major that would allow me to spend more time here.

8. Another reason why I'm not a pre-med anymore is because I developed an epically abnormal hate for sciences, so I will ignore this question.

9. I don't care if we came from monkeys. Blah, blah, blah.

10. Nah! I live in Utah so I'm surrounded by fellow Mormons.. but there aren't as many Norricist so things get hard sometimes.

11. From planet Earth.

1 - the drinks and general entertainment

2 - c

3 - a

4 - atheist

5 - society, upbringing, philosophical stance

6 - neither, but it does hold a certain interest

7 - some college, computer science major

8 - not compatible, science relies on logic, religion relies on faith

9 - yes

a - evolutionary psychology is the study of cognitive development in a species, evolutionary biology is the study of physical development in a species

b - yes - sociobiology is the study of the social behaviors of a species and is closely related to evolutionary psychology

c - I'm not familiar with those terms

10 - not too often/ rarely

11 - USA

1) I come here for the comedy and fundie does it WAAYYY best !

2) 60s

3) Male

4) A-theist

5) Culture like everybody else.

6) I like studying-pointing-laughing at people who believe in invisible space chappies.

7) Officially 4th year but I've done LOTSA reading.

8) IF I was a 'god' and wanted to populate PlanetOurs I'd use Evolution; it's perfect.

9) I'm not interested in mass debate.

10) I pick on adults who are old enough to know imaginary friends are imaginary.

11) Oz

~

1.) The intellectual conversation, and the lulz.

2.) A

3.) A

4.) Atheist

5.) My parents taught me morality, and it stuck

6.) I like it. Otherwise, I'd be in P&S

7.) I'm in college, first year.

8.) Not in the slightest.

9.) Yes, Evolution is change in a species over time. That is from my biology textbook.

10.) No, I don't discuss this IRL

11.) USA

Source(s): WWHMJD? HE WOULD ROCK!!! Thou shalt turn thy music UP!

It`s literally a three way tie between makeup, football, and polls and surveys. Yeah, I know random, Ha Ha. BTW, I definitely can`t live without Yahoo Answers!!

*sniff**sniff* i smell homework.

1. 2 free points just for being an @$$hole

2.b

3.b

4.Atheistic Pastafarian

5. My thinking for myself.

6.Passes time.

7.college. Graphic Design

8. Possibly.

9.no. but, I am not afraid to support it either.

10. Well, i'm converting to judaism, so whenever something comes up, They go "Hey, she's a jew, what does she know?"

11USA