Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

How impressed are you with Google's Street View on Google Maps?

In 10 minutes I've already roamed 2 streets in Sydney Australia...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&ge...

It seems pretty accurate to me...well where I live at least.

SURFER BOY loves Mollyraggs: LOL, yeah right...I saw it too =P

What I like about it is that you can use your mouse pointer to navigate your way through that particular street. It's as if you're walking or driving through...

Favorite Answer

All in all it's pretty great, but there is often a numbering conflict once you get to a specific street. Mostly I believe that has to do with the fact that there is a mathematical formula that is supposed to attach the specific building numbers embedded in addresses to specific distances upon a street - at least on newer streets - and that function is supposed to be able to allow fire and rescue crews to use GPS systems to help them locate any particular address without having to find the number on the building - In point of fact though, many many numbering systems have nothing to do with that GPS formula, so the result is the Google attempt misses the mark.

Fortunately though, as you noted, you can navigate up and down streets, so you can go "find" the actual building, even if they don't land you right in front of it. I used it to great success this summer while planning a trip to a location a thousand miles away - drove right to where I needed to be and recognized it in an instant - after all, I had "driven" right by it on Google!

• filip

They don't have my street yet. The whole project when I first saw it, it was extremely impressive. But all the other additions generally make it heavier for streaming and they look like cheap video games. Few things are actually useful and can be consider as navigating or information tools.

Making a long story sort: Improvements were less satisfying than expected. They should retake pictures with grater resolution from above if they need improvements. They could also arrange that the pictures are taken without clouds and the same hour of the day. Summer if they can. Someone made a world map with satellite pictures like that for Al Gore for his documentary "an inconvenient truth". This would be an improvement!

Yes G1 is better. Google G1 has a better camera (3 Mpix as opposed to 2 Mpix in i-Phone), it is cheaper. It is easier to use because it is a full qwerty cell phone, slide the screen and you have a keyboard. How do you expect to type in large amounts of text on an i-Phone? You get all the bits and pieces you've enjoyed on a PC - a hassle-free browsing, YouTube, and more. In fact, ease of browsing is the factor that will make G1 a winner. You know what I mean if you're familiar with Macs and Safari browser. G1 Android can be packed with third-party games and soft. It is an open-source. You need to buy extra memory card for a G1 and its battery is not as long lasting as that of an i-Phone. Apart from that, I cannot see how i-Phone is better.

• Its fun to see if they drove by while you car was outside...or if your neighbors are doing anything worth spying on. Since I live in LA though, i expect every street to be just about perfect.

All that is needed now is a live view :-P

• i think it's pretty cool . buh also it can be kinda bad because someone like a stalker could track you down right where you live sooo dependin on tha use but other than that it's pretty awesome .

• candle

I have used it several times and I like it.

Yes, it's very handy especially for us travelers

• Racin

it's seems to only be accurate about half the time

I agree

I've never used it before