Hindi and Urdu ! Are these sentences both correct?

Dear Hindi and Urdu speakers on YA:

I have found the following sentence:

us ne acchii naukRii paa-y-ii.

I need to know... in the negative, which of the following are correct?

1) us ne acchii naukRii nahiiN paa-y-ii.

2) vah acchii naukRii nahiiN paa-y-aa.

3) vah acchii naukRii nahiiN paa sak-aa.

...or are they all possible, with contrasts in meaning?!

Update:

This is very interesting, Mr. Wit, I am very keen to know: if 2) is possible, in what special circumstance might it be used? You say it is not so clear, but could be used. Please, please expand on that! What is the use to which it is suited, i.e., what special meaning does it convey that the others do not?

Update 2:

Thank-you for clearing that up, Mr. Wit. The variation I thought I had perceived was not within one dialect.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1) us-ne ach-chhii naukRii nahiiN paa-y-ii.

(he didn't get (a) good job.)

2) vah ach-chhii naukRii nahiiN paa-y-aa.: NOT VERY CLEAR, BUT COULD BE USED.

3) vah ach-chhii naukRii nahiiN paa sak-aa.

(He couldn't get (a) good job.)

~ sakaa :: could/can

========================

EDIT:

Hindi as you know has certain variations from place to place. But the standard one is "Khadi Boli", it is recognised as standard for Hindi.

But there are regions like Chhatisgadh (India), where this type of language is used.

(2) vah ach-chhii naukRii nahiiN paa-y-aa

But correct is:

Use ach-chhii naukRii nahiiN mi-lii.

But Chhatisgadhi or similar bolis are not considered as standard. So it is advisable to avoid this type of language.

===========

Edit2:

(3)vah ach-chhii naukRii nahiiN paa sak-aa.

above can also be used as:

use ach-chhii naukRii nahiiN mil sa-kii.

=================

edit3:

Note for your hindi kavita (poem)/urdu shaayari of next question:

1. in kavita or shaayari for "tukbandi" (rhyming/ versification), they may sometimes be/appear incorrect grammatically.

2. There is "slight" difference in writing and speaking in Hindi and Urdu. The vocabulary is quite different in these languages. However, these words may be used in both languages. Also, the lipi is totally different in both these languages.

==========================

edit 4:

another correct use:

vah ek ach-chii naukari bhi praapt nahin kar paayaa.

(he could not even aquire/obtain a good job.)

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

1) kyaa aap ko yeh kitaabeN bechnii haiN? (=SPECIFIC books = 'Do you have to sell *those* books?') Correct. Denotes Specific books. However, 'yeh' refers to "THESE" rather than "those". 2) kyaa aap ko kitaab bechnaa hai? (=books IN GENERAL = 'Do you have to sell books?') Correct, as regards generality. But a better formulation would probably be kyaa aap ko kitaab bechnii haiN? [the use of haiN denotes the plurality of books] Or kya aap ko kitaabeN bechniiN haiN? 3) kyaa aap ko koii kitaab-shetaab bechnaa hai ? This is the vernacular slang used generally in J&K, Delhi, Punjab, Haryana... In Maharashtra, one would generally say "kitaab-vitaab" depicting the influence of Marathi on Hindi. : kyaa aap ko koii kittab-vitaab bechnii hai? does this help? all the very best :-)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.