What happens if a K9 Officer retires before the dog?

It's a well known practise that the K9 Officer and the Dog are literal partners. It's also been a common practise that upon the Dog's retirement from service, the Officer takes him or her home as his or her pet. If the Officer would retire first, would the Dog be reassigned? Would the partnership... show more It's a well known practise that the K9 Officer and the Dog are literal partners. It's also been a common practise that upon the Dog's retirement from service, the Officer takes him or her home as his or her pet.

If the Officer would retire first, would the Dog be reassigned?

Would the partnership be terminated and the Dog treated just like another Officer and reassigned a partner or would they allow the retiring Officer to keep his or her Dog?

The Dog is worth allot of money and there is no good reason to retire the Dog other than not wanting to start fresh with a new Officer the Dog does not know.

Lets say the Officer is retiring for personal reasons like he or she has been injured or is sick or any other reason meaning he or she is no longer capable of performing their duties.
Update: I'm a civilian and I'm curious. I've always been interested in the professional relationship between mankind and animals and this example is something I've always wondered.
Update 2: I guess I'll say it AGAIN, the retirement was not forseen. Geez, thanks for reading the question before answering it.