Visual Basic ("Run-Time Error 13" Type Mismatch)?

hi, i'm having a hard time with vb 6. i'm creating a database linked to Microsoft Access. here's my code:

Private Sub ListStudent()

If Not rs.EOF Then

ListView1.ListItems.Clear

rs.MoveFirst

Do While Not rs.EOF

Set l = ListView1.ListItems.Add(, , rs!StudName)

l.SubItems(1) = rs!StudNum

l.SubItems(2) = rs!StudCourse (this line has the error, a tool tip text says that rs!StudCourse=null)

l.SubItems(3) = rs!StudAdd

rs.MoveNext

Loop

Else

ListView1.ListItems.Clear

End If

End Sub

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Private Sub Form_Load()

Call Open_Conn

Set rs = cn.Execute("Select * from Table1")

ListStudent

Call Close_Conn

End Sub

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Try replacing the line with:

l.SubItems(2) = IIf(IsNull(rs!StudCourse, "", CStr(rs!StudCourse)))

Basically, what this does is, first it figures out if rs!StudCourse is Null. If it is, then it assigns the empty string "" to l.SubItems(2), otherwise, it gives out a string converted value of rs!StudCourse.

Source(s): Experience
  • A null value from a recordset usually indicates that (a) you have misnamed the data field "StudCourse", or (b) there is a null value in the actual field "StudCourse", which cannot be assigned to I.SubItems(2). If (a) is the issue, simply correcting the fieldname should fix the code. If (b) is the issue, try replacing:

l.SubItems(2) = rs!StudCourse

With:

l.SubItems(2) = iif(isnull(rs!StudCourse),"",rs!StudCourse)

That should assign an empty string instead in the case where StudCourse is null.

• 1 decade ago

Hi, gail

There are 3 step to repair run time 13 error

My friend had the same problem with you. I am sure your computer has registry problems.It is very easy to repair run time 13 error. you just need 3 steps:

1: Download a registry cleaner and install it.

2: Open the registry cleaner and scan you computer for free.

3: Click fix button and you done.

Download the top run time 13 error repair tool here:http://www.fixerrorfast.com/ttfix-run_time_13_erro...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Fix the data. Make sure the table does not have null values in the StudCourse field.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A type mismatch usually occurs when you are assigning or comparing two variables or values of different types. For instance trying to put a float into an integer. Check all of your compare and assignment statements again, you should be able to find it.

• Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Dim Val as Integer If IsNumber(Cbo2.Text) then Val = CType(Cbo2.Text, Integer) End If then use Val instead of cbo2.text

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.