ninja.skills asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Equestrian Sports Cut From The Olympics??

Apparently there is a good chance that after 2012, or even before that, equestrian sports may be cut from the games.

does anybody know of anything that people in the sport can do?? like, are there petitions? can you write to the olympic comittee??

help!!

Favorite Answer

Meagan is right. They can't cut horse sports out of the Olympics without all Hell breaking loose- there are far TOO MANY wealthy, politically powerful countries which have equestrian teams and participate in them for this to happen easily, no matter what the other costs might be. The US and Canada are just two of many, many nations with a big stake in this fight. Most if not all of Europe, Japan, and several of the Asian countries also have a big stake in seeing horse sports continue in the Olympics, Ninja. If we lost the Olympics as a competitive venue, then ALL the performance horse sports would suffer, not just the Olympic ones. The Olympics are about more than just sport, Ninja- they are an international forum for the exchange of ideas and information, not to mention a means for countries to draw attention to their citizens on the world stage.

As for 2012, there has been no announcement by either the IOC or the FEI that they are cutting out the horse sports. It wouldn't make sense for them to do this at this particular Olympiad anyway, because England is the country where an enormous number of the horse sports (including all 3 Olympic disciplines) BEGAN, and the IOC is HARDLY in a position to ignore either the historical or the political implications of this. Then there's the business about the sport of Reining, which has recently been accepted by the FEI as one of its competitive disciplines- and apparently, it has in fact been added to the Olympic roster in 2012 as a demonstration sport. ( Being a demo means that there will not be any medals awarded for competitors- it's just a chance for them to show the world what the sport looks like and see what the response is to it. This has been tried before, with other horse sports like competitive driving and endurance riding, and neither one of those sports ever went on to become a medaled discipline. I have a feeling that reining is probably going to go the same route, simply because there aren't enough countries in the world which contest or feature it yet- it's still mainly confined to the US and Canada.)

If you want more information on what the FEI is doing with regard to keeping horse sports in the Olympics, you might want to go to their website and look around. There have been attempts to eliminate horse sports in the past, and the FEI has so far successfully thwarted or stopped every single one of them- they work hand in glove with the IOC, but they are politically independent of it. There's something else to consider too, and that is who the leaders of the FEI are right now. The current president is HRH Princess Haya of the Kingdom of Jordan, and she is a HUGE horse enthusiast and a big fan of keeping the horse sports in the Olympics. In the US, our USEF president is eventer David O'Connor, an Olympic gold medalist. It was O'Connor and his team who enabled the US to win the right to host the WEG in Lexington next fall- they did that in 2005, right after the Athens games.As long as there are people like that in charge, I don't believe anyone has anything to worry about where the horse sports are concerned. There may be some grumbling and groans about the costs and the need to build seperate venues, but the sports will continue. It wouldn't make any sense to eliminate them in 2016, either, because Brazil is a HUGE horse country. It's the home of some of the best show jumpers in the world ( namely, the Pessoa family) and it is also renowned worldwide as an international venue for the sport of polo.Of course Brazil is going to want to showcase the ablities of its equestrian athletes- and what nation with athletes of that caliber wouldn't, might I ask? Trying to keep them from doing so would be like trying to tell the US that we couldn't have a Super Bowl any more, or we couldn't have the World Series in baseball any more. The response to such an act would be so overwhelmingly negative that whoever suggested it would be forced to eat their words and reconsider a few things.

No, I don't believe horse sports in the Olympics are going anywhere, at least not for a while.

Source(s): I'm a horse owner and professional, and a long time follower of all the Olympic horse sports and international horse sports like reining and vaulting.

Equestrian will continue to be an Olympic sport in 2016 and 2020 Olympics. I, for one, don't like this sport as well because this is the only Olympic sport where athlete will depend on the performance of his/her horse in order for him/her to win a medal. But sadly,it would be very difficult that this sport will be removed from the Olympic Games because rich people compete in this sport. And we all know, money goes around in IOC.

I haven't heard anything about that but I really hope that equestrian sports aren't cut. Though I don't ride english I have always found it fun watching it, it is really the only summer olympic sport I like to watch. I really can't see them cutting it since there are a wide variety of large countries which send teams to participate. The only way it could get cut is if a more popular sport wanted entry since they are now limiting the number of sports to 26. I really can't think of a sport more popular then riding that would want entry though. This issue most likely wont come up again until after 2012, keep your ears open for news then.

By the way unfortunately reining has not been added.

• Angela

They have been talking about doing this for many years already. Building the facilities for the equestrian sports is super expensive and requires lots of land. Many times the Olympics are held in the middle of a big city, and they can't put the cross country course in a parking lot. Plus the equestrian sports don't draw the big crowds and sponsors that other sports do.

Nobody really watches curling either, but at least it's cheap enough to put on. But if it cost millions to build separate curling facilities, they'd be looking to cut that too.

I think that what you heard is just more of the talk about possibly cutting the horse sports, not a certainty that they WILL. If they did, it would be way off in the future. They just added another horse sport- reining. So I don't think any plans to eliminate them are in the works.

I would hate to see horse sports cut, but I can understand why they might. My own family would not go to watch the equestrian sports even if I gave them free tickets. They say it's like watching paint drying. Their loss. Most people have no idea what they're missing...

I hope they don't cut horses from the Olympics, but at least we have other venues like the World Equestrian Games (held in the US next year!!!!! I'm totally going no matter what!). We could just expand our own venues, and there would be fewer animal rights crazies watching there than at the Olympics, so that would be a bonus.

Source(s): Barn manager

This issue has been debated for many years now, and is certainly NOT recent news!

Sadly there are many problems associated with horses at the Olympics.

One problem is that so many of the general public are uneducated as to the process involved with horse competition (especially dressage, it is easier for people to understand jumping as horse sport). The general public do not see "sitting on a horse in a top hat and tails" as sport. There is no way they could grasp the enormous amount of experience it takes to get a horse to top level. They also find it boring to watch (again this is mainly a problem with Dressage). And the Olympics is as much about making money as anything. There have to be sponsors willing to outlay HUGE amounts of cash to fund everything and advertisers willing to advertise during televising etc. If no one wants to watch, why would anyone sponsor it. Unfortunately that is just how it is.

Secondly the expense involved is massive. Horse sports always have to have separate specialised facilities built, arenas and cross country courses (we could not exactly have it in the main athletics arena) and they have to build massive, expensive facilities to house all the horses AS WELL AS all the riders.

Thirdly are all the problems associated with quarantine laws and potential diseases that transportation of live animals brings with it.

Fourthly, there are many people that think riding and forcing an animal to do "dressage" or "jumping" is cruel and are strongly against the sport and are, all for, its removal from the games.

Lastly it is the expense of all of the above things I just listed, for a sport that is not wildly supported or deemed very popular (unlike basketball, athletics etc). When you factor all these problems in, it is little wonder the organisers are fed up and want to pull all horse sports from the Olympics (it will NOT be pulled out by 2012 though, so dont worry about that just yet).

So it is vital that everyone emails or writes letters requesting horse sports stay in the Olympics, to show that it is a popular sport, if we dont, one day it will most certainly be lost, which will be a tragedy considering horse sports are one of the oldest of the original sports that are in the Olympics.

So come on everyone – put pen to paper so to speak and let the organisers know – We want horses in the Olympics to STAY!!! After all, it is the only sport where men and women compete against each other on equal terms!!!!

EDIT: Sunny - Yes thats right it is an age old debate, in the last Olympics the equestrian events were not even able to be held in Beijing if you remember? They were actually held in Hong Kong, because of all the difficulties associated with finding a suitable venue. Riders were therefore not even able to be part of the opening and closing ceremonies. As long as we show support, horse events will hopefully stay, but there will always be those who want it out.

I do understand the cost aspect, but you cannot deny the fact that equestrianism is one of the oldest competitive sports/skills in the olympics.

I would suggest a compromise. Why is it so important to build a whole new facility for the equestrian part of the Olympics? Why not hold that portion of the Olympics at a facility in the host country that is already in place?

Seems logical to me and much less costly.

• I doubt they are going to cut equestrian sports, after they just admitted reining as a new sport for the 2012 olympics.

• Sunny

Where have I been? I certainly have not heard anything about this....

Has reining really been added in?

Edit - oh is it the age old debate? I thought it might be a new final answer type thing, phew. One of the reasons it should be kept is because it's one of the only sports men and women compete together as equals, I love that.

Not without all hell breaking loose. I would consider suicide, maybe. That's ridiculous. There's no way they can get away with that.

You can contact a comittee, I found a link one time, let me see if I can find it again....

Edit----

I'm sure if you look around on here you can find a "Contact us" area, but I doubt you will really get a real person... probably just some instant spam or something.....argghh.

http://www.olympic.org/en/content/Olympic-Games/

I highly doubt they'll just chuck all the horse people out at all, much less by 2012.

Probably just a rumor.