Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.
How come Los Angeles does not have an NFL team? It's the second largest city in the United States, why not?
Does the city Los Angeles just not want an NFL team and they are already satisfied with the current Professional Sports teams such as the Lakers(basketball), Dodgers(baseball), Galaxy(Soccer), and the Kings(Hockey)? what are the reasons as to why LA got rid of the Rams and the Raiders and does not want an NFL team again?
What the reasons as to why Los Angeles, or the South-Central part of California, area around or near San Bernadino, Riverside, Los Angeles and Orange County, lack a Professional Football Team? Why did the Rams move to St. Louis in 1994 and the Raiders back to Oakland too?
Will the NFL ever return to Los Angeles or any part of California that I mentioned? I live in Orange County, Southern California, have never been to an NFL game in my entire life because San Diego is just too far of a drive for me, I'm more of a local driver.
I mean what are the reasons why the Raiders and Rams left Los Angeles, I am aware of the fact that Los Angeles used to have 2 NFL teams, which were the Raiders and the Rams, but why did they leave?
- Anonymous1 decade agoFavorite Answer
Simple. Non-loyal fan base.
When the Rams and Raiders sucked the stadiums were empty and the franchises couldn't afford to stay there.
They had to move.
Now California already has 3 other NFL teams if a 4th was added to the state would be over-saturated and that would split the other fan bases as well. The last few years the current Cali teams have had troubling filling seats. Adding another would just thin it out more.
The only thing that would make sense is if they would move a current Cali team to LA. But I really don't see San Diego or San Fransisco going there. Oakland would make the most sense but Al Davis already tried that. I don't seem him making that mistake again.
It's all about filling up the stadiums.
The Rams left L.A. because the Coliseum rarely sold out, causing blackouts on TV. They also had to share the stadium with USC and UCLA because the city refused to build an extra stadium. Central Los Angeles was also percieved as one of the more dangerous neighborhoods.
The L.A. Raiders moved because of similar reasons. Though the city had agreed to Coliseum renovations the 94 quake halted any more renovations. Oakland then offered a new stadium to Davis which ultimately made his desicion to move the Raiders back.
- FANaticLv 51 decade ago
The NFL, like ALL BUSINESS organizations, are incentivized by profit. The Los Angeles market has been tested multiple times with teams and the fans proved to be poor supporters of a professional football team. You should've seen the LA Raider games.....PATHETIC. At some point, I think the NFL will return to the Los Angeles / OC area but the socal market will always be hyper scrutinized until the fans prove to be loyal CONSUMERS.
- 1 decade ago
I live in L.A.and see the reason why we don't have a football team...
1. We dont have a state of the art stadium.
2. Fans are oversaturated with football. San Diego is two hours away but in most states they only have one football team, where as CA already has 3, and being from Socal i see a lot of charger and raider fans... and for some reason there are plenty of cowboys fans here too..
3. Our L.A. teams never really did that well so fans never really got the cchance to build a fan base.. lets face it, nobody really supports a loser.. and who wants to watch games that weren't meaningful. so stadiums are hard to pack... especially when a college team like USC sis in the area, you could play less to see a more exciting game...
But thats just how i see it, i'm sure there are other perspectives on why we dont have a team here...
- Hawk MLv 71 decade ago
they have had them and didn't support them
San Diego is the only City in So Cal, with a team, and they have trouble selling out their games too,
and that's with a team that is usually in the running during the season.
there is also a catch 22 here,
there is no stadium that the NFL likes there right now,
and they won't build one, till there is a team to put in it.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
They should move the Rams to Los Angeles
- 1 decade ago
1. No state-of-the-art stadium.
2. Too much other stuff going on.
3. With all the air pollution, it's hard to have athletic contests outside due to difficulty in breathing.
4. They already have a pro team. USC pays their players better than any other college out there.
- 1 decade ago
There's a lot of college football in that city. But I would like it if LA had an NFL franchise
- 1 decade ago
If the Chargers or the Raiders don't get a new stadium soon, LA might be getting a team
- introvertedguy06Lv 61 decade ago
It's really unfair, I know, because LA is the second-largest city in the United States.