If you change your windows vista product key to windows 7 will it download?

Call me stupid but what exactly does a product key do!? I have windows vista home premium. If I change the product key to windows 7 home premium, will I be able to download it without the disks?

Thanks!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Product key is a number that activates your copy (only one copy) of Windows and makes it work. If you want another version of Windows, you have to upgrade the current or get a new one (with a new product key), paying money in both cases.

The prices can be found here: http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Hom...

• Yeti
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The product key is tied to the specific version of the software (and it then gets tied to your computer as well once activated).

You can purchase the download of Windows 7 if you don't want to use disks.

But you're ultimately going to have to do a reinstallation of an operating system. No, you cannot just change the product key to trigger a download or something like that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The product key identifies the product (in your case, Vista) and links it with a specific computer. So YOUR copy of Vista is legal on YOUR computer. So: No, you can't use the same key with Windows 7. (For that matter, you could not legally use your Vista key to install another copy of Vista on another computer)

• 1 decade ago

a key is linked to the install of a OS in your case.

if you change it, it wont download windows 7 you will need disks

Source(s): trust me im a geek XD
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

you can send email to oggus.com . they provide such download links free for you.

what they need you to do is to share your experience online. that's why i post here :-)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.