? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 1 decade ago

Here goes the first try...?

My husband and I have our first top ten names. All comments and ideas welcome. (meaning yes youre allowed to not like them and say so, and also please add some of your own)

HIS:

phoebe

emmy

lilly

luna

violet

gavin

julian

marshall

preston

sawyer

MINE:

bevin

ellie

daphne

lacey

peyton

emmet

hayden

lucas

seth

leo

please be honest (even harsh if you must aha). thanks to everyone :)

**by the way, the last name will be thomas

oops, I did mean emmett with two t's. that was just a typo.

Favorite Answer

Phoebe: Love it! It's cute, but still pretty and classy.

Emmy: Like it as a nickname (for Emily, Emma, Emmaline, etc.) but not as a full name...it wouldn't grow up so well.

Lilly: I prefer the spelling Lily, like the flower...Lilly makes me think of a drug company (Eli Lilly) or a designer of tacky pink-and-green print dresses (Lilly Pulitzer).

Luna: Sounds like a loony hippie name. I'd prefer Cynthia, Diana, or Selene, all of which also mean moon/moon goddess.

Violet: Love it! This always makes me think of a quiet, beautiful, smart, artistic, dark-haired girl/woman.

Gavin: I really like this...I'm told it's considered a lower-class name in the UK, but in the US it has a very classy, charming, British ring.

Julian: Love it! Classy, uncommon, and very handsome and intelligent-sounding.

Marshall: I don't like it too much, but I don't hate it. Makes me think of a stout man in uniform with a ton of medals (like a military marshal).

Preston: I don't really like it...makes me think of a bratty, smart-mouthed, hyperactive suburban kid/teenager...I have trouble imagining a responsible adult Preston.

Sawyer: Don't like it...it's a last name meaning woodcutter, and just doesn't sound at all attractive, masculine, or charming to me.

Bevin: Too close to Beavis, as well as "beaver". I don't like this at all.

Ellie: I love it as a nickname for Elizabeth, Eleanor, etc. but not on its own...too cutesy for when she grows up.

Daphne: Love it! A gorgeous, uncommon, smart-sounding mythological name.

Lacey: This sounds like either a stripper, a fluffy little yap-dog, or a nickname. I would NOT recommend it as an official name!

Peyton: I'm sorry, but if I personally had to choose the ugliest-sounding girl's name in existence, it would be Peyton.

Emmet: Not horrible, but not great...just not very attractive or masculine. I prefer the spelling Emmett.

Hayden: I'm not a fan of Ayden-rhyming names, but Hayden does beat Kayden, Brayden, and Jayden...

Lucas: I love it! Smart, handsome, and charming. Lucas Thomas would be a little singsong-sounding though...

Seth: I like this...it's both a Biblical name and an Egyptian god, and makes me think of a smart, cute, brooding guy.

Leo: I like it as a nickname for Leonard or Leonardo, but also on its own.

FAVORITES:

Girl: Phoebe Thomas, Violet Thomas, or Daphne Thomas

Boy: Gavin Thomas, Julian Thomas, Seth Thomas, or Leo Thomas

• Clary

My favorites:

Phoebe

Emmy

Lilly

Violet

Ellie

Julian

Preston

Sawyer

Emmett

Hayden

Lucas

Combos:

Ellie Violet Thomas

Lilly Peyton Thomas

Preston Lucas Thomas

Hayden Sawyer Thomas

i does not have long previous besides. I have been given to make certain them on their first excursion, which replaced into vastly enjoyable in a university well-being membership. They have been bouncy, they have been satisfied, they have been probably wasted, they have been so gorgeous I had crushes on a million/2 of them 30 years in the past, it replaced into double-gorgeous observing the guitarist suffering to play her little solos, no longer that they weren't all suffering to play their contraptions. It made me think of, oh, i could desire to do this if I practiced a splash extra! And it replaced into triply humorous that they had to play an identical songs thrice with the aid of fact they did no longer understand sufficient songs to fill in an hour or 2 in any different case. Now Belinda is skinny and sober and doing boring television interviews. we are all older and much less bouncy, and it could basically have been an oldies teach for me. So, i'm going to take a satisfied music from the flow-flow's - "can not end the international". this is basically about appropriate, can not end the international, why enable it end you? can not see the flow-flow's? existence is going on. yet with some satisfied recommendations from the 80s. you realize, there is lots stable enjoyable track interior the international that we are meant to sense badly approximately liking with the aid of fact it is not dark sufficient or intense sufficient or tough sufficient. The flow-flow's have been a responsible excitement i'm no longer the least bit responsible approximately, with the aid of fact they have been organic excitement in stay overall performance.

His:

Phoebe. I don't like this because it remind me of a really goofy girl.

Emmy. I don't like this one at all. Amy sounds much better.

Lilly. It's okay, I think it's a little old for my taste.

Luna. reminds me of an alien.

Violet- This one is the name I like best.

Gavin- It's not that bad of a name. But I personally wouldn't chose it for my kids.

Julian- This name doesn't seem to get used that much and I like this one a,lot.

Marshall- Doesn't sound good for a first name.

Preston- This is a cute one. I like this best.

Sawyer- Sorry, no comment.

Yours:

Bevin- I think there are a lot of other prettier names out there. I'm sorry. Just my taste.

Ellie- I don't like this. I'm not too fond of names that start with E either.

Daphne- I think it's pretty. There is also Daphine.

Lacey- I like this name the most out of your girl names.

I think it's a good normal name.

Peyton- Not my style. Sounds boy-ish.

Emmet- No

Hayden. This is the only name I like that ends with D E N. However it's being used way too much.

Lucas. I am really liking this one.

Seth- One of my favorite's.

Leo. Don't like this .

• Pixie.

I love Emmy, Lily and Lacey for a girl - they're all really pretty and cute. Violet and Luna are okay too, and Ellie is sweet but incredibly overused. I'm not lken on Peyton - it sounds way too masculine for a girl - or Daphne because it sounds very old-fashioned. My least favourite girl's name is Bevin - it looks really ugly, and sounds odd, it doesn't even sound like a name to me.

For a boy, I like Lucas, Leo and Emmet - all three are very cute. Hayden is way too overused at the moment. Marshall, Julian and Sawyer are okay, but I'm not keen on Preston, Gavin or Seth - they're just names that personally I'm not keen on.

:]

• Tamsin

From his I like Phoebe, Marshall, and Sawyer.

Emmy: just sounds too childish. I don't think it would work well on a grown woman.

Lily: I don't like Lily simply because its so common and I've just never been a fan of flower names

Luna: is just a word for moon... so I think its kind of silly

Violet:is just a color. I'm not a fan of color names either.

Gavin: I don't hate it but I don't love it either

Julian: I know this is a boy's name but there are a few really girly names that are so similar to this. Like Julianne/Julianna, Julia, Jillian.

Preston: Just sounds kind of Conceited.

From yours I like Emmet and Lucas

Bevin: I don't hate it but it just sounds odd. It could grow on me though. I think the word for beverage in spanish is kind of close to this or something.. idk but I immediately thought of some kind of a drink.

Ellie: This might be cute on a little girl but I just don't think it would look good on a woman. This would be a cute nickname for a longer name though I think.

Daphne: Not really a reason for you not to chose the name but I immediately think of scooby doo. One of the girls was named Daphne.

Lacey: I just really don't like this. Its just lace with a y at the end.

Peyton: overused imo and I've just never liked the way it sounds.

Hayden: Idk, just don't personally like the way it sounds.

Seth: seems boring to me

Leo: Seems too short. Feels like it should be Leon or Leonard or something.

I like the names Lily, Violet, Preston, Peyton and Lucas.

Here's some of mine:

Bella

Lila

Madison

Kayleigh

Gage

Colton

Ashton

I dnt know bout the name Emmy .. i love the name Emily and Luna reminds me of that crazy chic in Harry Potter and may get looney Luna at school and i havent heard Peyton before but i like the rest and all sound alright with Thomas

• I love Emmy, Preston, Peyton, Emmett & Hayden.

• HIS:

phoebe- no

emmy- LOVE it

lilly- I prefer it with one L and as a nickname for Lillian

luna- no

violet- no

gavin- no

julian- okay

marshall- no

preston- no

sawyer- okay

MINE:

bevin- no

ellie- love it

daphne- hate it

lacey- love it

peyton- love it

emmett- it's okay, reminds me too much of Twilight

hayden- okay, common though

lucas- love it!

seth- it's okay

leo- don't like it

Suggestions:

Girls- Elizabeth (Ellie), Ava, Madison, Madelyn, Brylee

Boys- Samuel, Joseph, William, Brandon, Tyler