Need to turn the key three or four times before the engine kicks...?

1995 Ford Windstar. When I turn the key, the engine revs normally; but it won't kick on right away. Instead, I have to turn the key three or four times before the engine turns on. Then it runs fine. Pressing the gas does not help it to start.-Only turning the key multiple times and crossing my fingers. :-) Trans, radiator, water pump, starter and battery cables are all less than a year old.

Favorite Answer

If i understand correctly the engine turns over when you turn the key but does not crank. This is usually caused by a faulty fuel pump. As the cars sits overnight or for a period of time the fuel pump looses it pressure and the has to pump fuel through the lines and up to the injectors again before the car will start. To test this you can turn the key to the position right before the engine starts to turn over and count to 5 or so. Do not press the gas pedal. Then release the key and try to start the engine. If this does not work for you its probably not the fuel pump.

• howard

So you turn the key, the engine turns over but doesn't start. You then repeat and no start, on the third try it turns over and starts. After that it runs fine with no problems. If I have that right then I am thinking possible fuel pump pressure regulator in the throttle body. Find out what the fuel pump line pressure is supposed to be and see what you are actually getting. Also, is there a return line (usually is)? Check it to make sure it is not plugged. This happened to me and the problem was right at the throttle body itself. Fuel filters probably aren't the issue since you say it runs fine after it starts. FInd out if the engine has a "cold start" injector. This is an extra injector that only fires when engine is cold. If you have one and the engine temp sensor is not working then it won't fire and you will have trouble starting in cold weather (like now).

There are other possibilities, such as engine compression. If the engine is pretty much worn out then it may take two or three times with the ignition to build up enough compression to start the engine. The engine will not have more power though in this case, but if you live in the city or where it is really flat you may not notice unless you go out on the highway. If the compression is low you will also be burning/using oil, so I think you would notice that, unless you have a bad valve. But a bad valve would make the engine not idle well.

Not that I know too much about cars, but it can be a problem with the starter, or the ignition switch. Sounds more like if it's an issue with the ignition switch.

If I were you i'd get it checked out immediately, because having to turn the key so many times, can actually cause more damage.

Sounds like spark plugs, needs new ones that are gaped right, or could be that the battery is about shot and doesn't kick out enough amps to start it right, carbon build up could also be the problem, many cleaners out there to remove built up gunk and clean carburators. Start at the easy outs first and work your way to the main parts.

Source(s): Working on my own cars for 35 yrs.

i think its the starter.... to check if that's the problem have someone hit the starter while you turn the key if it starts on the first time then it means the starter is starting to stick

You said the battery cables are new, but how about the battery it self? May b it's time to change it. I suggest go to AutoZone and ask the guys to check it out for you. Maybe it's the rotor.

check your intakemanifold/throttle body.. Old cars usually have carbon build up. you can buy a can of NO CARB cleaner to spray in to your throttle body, just be sure to read the instructions before doing so

how r the plugs/wires

check engine lite on? need to scan computer

15 yrs old could be injectors,,,fuel filter/pump cap/rotor [if so equiped]

maybe has to do with starter wires

blow the speed with jet eng man.