House Health Care Reform Bill: What does, "...and for other purposes." mean?

I just opened the 1990 page House bill revealed yesterday by Pelosi.

Here's a link... http://www.graction21.com/gf/21804224-House-HCR-Bi...

After the gratuitous introduction of house responsible for this mess, the very first line of the bill read as quoted below:

"A BILL

To provide affordable, quality health care for all Americans

and reduce the growth in health care spending, and

for other purposes."

"...and for other purposes."????

Are you kidding me? Who knows how many countless lawyers worked on this bill and the very first line that addresses the purpose of the bill included the phrase, "...and for other purposes?"

Never mind what other purposes an Health Care Reform Bill is suppose to serve, but this is the best wording a group of lawyers could agree on for the first line of a 1990 page law?

What other purposes are there for the bill? The "Tax you into oblivion" purpose. The "Interview you and advise you to just die" purpose?

The very first line is a bad joke.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Your question is useful for the link and for other purposes.

• Lee B
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Ah, the ol' open-ended statement.

o·pen-end·ed (pn-ndd)

adj.

1. Not restrained by definite limits, restrictions, or structure.

2. Allowing for or adaptable to change.

3. Inconclusive or indefinite: "faintly bemused and uneasily open-ended about the whole horrible business" (Charles Michener).

4. Allowing for a spontaneous, unstructured response: an open-ended question.

So this means that the purpose can be whatever the hell you want it to be. I had a job with a contract that had a clause like this as the last line. When I asked about it, the boss said he would use his employees for "all other duties not specified" as he deemed fit. Since he wasn't a pervert, this usually amounted to shoveling snow and taking out the garbage. Not a big deal when you're 20 years old.

However, in legislation, "other purposes" is left to the designs of govt. Nice to see the usual suspects defending the indefensible. Just goes to show there is no honor among thieves. Oh well, I guess if you're gonna own stupid, own it all the way.

• 1 decade ago

it means exactly what it says, and although you ignore it, the fact is the repubes made hundreds of amendments and this "wording" may have been one of them. No matter, your "question" is irrelevant in the overall scheme of things, and your criticism simply allows you to discredit the entire bill and not have to read it all. I'm on page 1486 right now, and even though there are certain things i disagree with (like on pages 967 and 1142), i think the bill is a fair compromise. Sorry if you don't think so.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"Reducing the cost of health care spending" is even more-so of a bad joke. Obama's signed a deal with Big Pharma to criminalize outside prescription imports, and proliferate medication prices severely.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Politicians suck!

“Political language. . . is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.”

-George Orwell-

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.