How do I get an auto-populating, non-updating Date field in MS Access or Excel?

I just want to be able to view the date that each record is entered in my spreadsheet or database. It's a list of businesses, their addresses and the very last field (in the spreadsheet, anyway) is "Date Entered". If I were just entering one or two records each day I wouldn't mind doing it manually, but I'm doing many. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for in Help.

Any help is appreciated! And it needn't be fancy, as no one but me will see or use this. :)

Best Answer

In Access you can use a default value when entering data. In form design, go to properties for the control, and against Default value put

date(). You can also set the field default to date() when designing the table.

In Excel it's more tricky. You can't use =NOW() or =TODAY() because this changes every time you open the file. You can make it easier for yourself by using Ctrl : to enter a date. (hold down Ctrl key and press the colon key). There are workarounds, but they involve programming (Google "Excel date stamp").

Hope this helps somewhat.

• Penny

Access is a database application (small scale compared to the likes SQL Server/Oracle) and Excel is spreadsheet application. The confusion usually arises because both have spreadsheet like data entry screens. 1) Access stores data in tables that can be related to each other (relational database) while Excel uses flat spreadsheets 2) Access like other database apps can use the SQL language to query but excel has none 3) Access can store much more data than excel can hope that helps a bit? all the best on your test!