Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 decade ago

Fever of 102 for 5 days. Day 1, severe headache, Day 2-4 lethargy, Day 5 alert but dizzy. What is wrong?

Has anyone experienced a Fever/Headache/Rash before with no accompanying 'flu' symptoms?

That's what I am going through right now, and I am looking to hear if you have been diagnosed with anything...?

I went to the hospital and they had no answers. And I am tired and concerned.

If you care for the FULL story, (rash and all) here it is...

I had a headache Friday & Saturday. Saturday's was so bad I took my 'for emergency use only' migraine meds. Sunday & Monday I had a moderate headache and then Monday night I started to get the chills. Woke up Tuesday morning still chilled, had a shower and couldn't warm up, so realized I was coming down with something so I called in sick & went back to bed. I woke up mid-afternoon, shivering. I checked my temperature and it was 101. I took a few tylenol and went back to bed. I slept the entire day, getting up occasionally to get more fluids & tylenol when the fever would climb again. I started taking "tylenol cold & sinus" Tuesday evening with a fever of 102. I took more as necessary throughout the night, and day until it was Wednesday evening & realized what time it was. I got up to eat. I had no appetite at all. I choked back something and went to try to shower. When I took off my clothes I realized I was covered in blotches. Raised red welts is more like it. Unsure if I was having a reaction to the 'cold & sinus' I simply took some straight up Advil and hurried back to bed. I was too lethargic to be awake any longer. Thursday morning I woke up and saw that I was still covered in a rash and that my fever was still at 102. Concerned about the duration of my fever, with no additional cold symptoms (minimal cough & runny nose, no real nausea or diarreah), so I called Telehealth. They were so busy they asked me to leave my message and they would get back to me, so I took an Advil and went back to bed, feeling it would take a while. They called me back within 3 hrs, quizzed me and recommended I go to The Hospital right away. Because I had taken the Advil, my fever was down to 98 so they saw no real urgency at the hospital. They checked my other vitals and said I looked okay and that I could go home knowing that I don't have H1N1 (which I knew, because I didn't have a sore throat), that I might have another Flu, but I don't have Meningitis. (Good to know)

But here I am, at home on day 5 of the fever with no answers. I am taking Advil constantly and and dizzy and my head and neck are consistently achy. I don't trust myself to walk, let alone drive. Does anyone have any answers that are more useful to me than that doctor?

Thanks! Ronda

Day 6, fever was minimal & rash disappeared... severe headache returned. Day 7, fever subsided, light-headed and tired. Day 8, fairly normal, light productive cough. Back at work. Light headache.

• Favorite Answer

You need immediate evaluation for both infectious disease and neurological examination.

The fever lasting so long, lethargy and rash is what concerns me the most as they are typically associated with infection or sepsis. The fact that you're not coughing or having trouble breathing does not completely rule out a respiratory infection. You can also be showing signs of other infections. Many sexually transmitted diseases in the later stages will produce systemic urticaria as will common viruses such as chicken pox or shingles.

You need a full blood culture which will take time to develop enough viruses or bacteria to find out exactly what kind of infection you have developed, if an infection. You also need a urinalysis to rule out urinary infection or a disease process the is affecting your body as a whole.

The neurological examination is to rule out thermoregulatory control problems and although unlikely, in the face of an idiopathic change in health, may help you provider rule out and rule in a diagnosis.

Do not let this illness (as indicated by the fever, rash or lethargy) go on for more then 7-10 days. That is the amount of time most infections that go untreated can ravage an ill person to the point of hospitalization. You need to be your own advocate here and insure your well-being. Seek treatment from another provider if needed. Furthermore, be sure you are telling the provider ALL the details of the story, anything that may seem of no important to you may be the cause of your illness. Something new, someone you encountered, any risky behaviors or recent travel as well as you family and genetic history will help find the cause of your illness.

Please contact me and let me know how things turns out.

R. Lorenzo, PMD, COHC, ACS, NAEMT-M

Although fully formally trained as well as Licensed & Certified to practice and instruct advanced pre-hospital medicine by the State Board of Medicine to which I report and various other boards, answers given here are for information ONLY, they are not to be used to make a diagnosis or as a treatment guideline. ALWAYS seek treatment for conditions that are emergent or symptoms that are unusual for you. Although checked, medicine is ever changing, so you should verify the accuracy of this post with a doctor, since most online information isn't verified at all

Ehm..

Hives are regularly scratchy and uncomfortable, leaving big or small red patches or rings and/or bumps. There are different causes for hives urticaria which range from sensitive responses to an autoimmune issue. There are various over the counter treatments that will assist soothe the swelling and itching in a reasonably short duration of time: Benadryl, Zyrtec, Claritin, Tavist.

If you prefer natural treatments to relieve the itching and absolute soreness of hives, here are a few of the greatest known options: Keeping It Cool, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera, Oatmeal and Cornstarch

For a permanent hives treatment method visit this interesting web site: http://urticaria.toptips.org

Diabetes is usually treated through a combination of diet (low sugar), exercise and medications/insulin. Milder cases can be controlled with just diet an/or exercise while more severe cases require meds or insulin as well.

Learn more https://tr.im/vJIKD

If you’ve been diagnosed with diabetes, it’s very important that you learn all you can about your disease and the treatment options available to you. Learn here https://tr.im/iaHqZ

One way to approach diabetes is to use integrative holistic medicine, also known as alternative medicine, a medical specialty that focuses on caring for the whole person, treating and preventing disease, and empowering patients to create conditions for optimal health.

determine the calorie specifications

Begin every day with eags beacuse eags contains far more necessary protein

When producing cookies, bake half the batch and scoop the remainder into ice-cube trays. When ones sweet tooth kicks in, pop out one and bake it to meet up with your craving without breaking the actual calorie bank.

• Sonia

take him to the Bladdy Doctors...its serious **** vommitting..i am a nursery teacher i should know....if u cant get him to the doctor anytime soon, then start of by keeping him cool if he has a fever and give him some 2+ children's calpol.... BUT TAKE HIM TO THE DOCTORS!!!!! it could be very serious. dnt let the poor child suffer!!!

create a 35 minute split in the center of your food review the best way hungry people still are generally prior to having back to the meat

Spray on salad dressing as opposed to pouring.