How can it be true that there is no truth?

It seems to me that either truth exists, or life does not.

This is my reasoning.

Do you exist?

Is it true that you exist?

It cannot be true that you do not exist. (If you do not exist, how can you read this question?)

Since it is true that you exist, the truth must exist. Otherwise, it is "not true" that you exist.

Furthermore, if it were "not true" that truth exists, that in itself is a truth statement.

It can never be true that truth does not exist.

Therefore truth exists.

Are any of these statements untrue?

Mr. Derp - Are you trying to make a point or just a joke? If a joke, no problem. If a point, I wrote the logic out so I could learn where there might be a fallacious assumption. Would you please clarify?

POP - You are saying it's true there is no truth. Please explain.

Glee - Please explain the difference between reality and truth?

Josh - You are also saying it's true there is no truth. How do you know you opinion is true?

Melchise - You are also saying it is true there is no truth, that it's relative to one's opinion. Are you saying that because it's your opinion it's true?

Favorite Answer

Anyone claiming that it's true there is no truth is contradicting themselves.

Everything looks different from different eyes. That's one reason that Buddhists meditate. They want to see the big picture.

You and I don't see the whole thing. We cannot say.

There's a cartoon image somewhere of a man going through the desert and comes upon another man just sitting there. The first man is from the west, while the other is also from the west but has been in the east for many years. He looks at the younger man and says "don't major in philosophy".

And I know what you're saying, but is there any point to it if you're just going to confuse yourself and others? Obviously there are such things as truths and life, so your statement is fallacious.

• Stella

Because "truth" in the religious sense usually applies to things that have no way of being proved or disproved, and is thus subjective and cannot be absolute.

Even using your non-religious example... Yes I exist, so that is true from my point of view. However someone who has never heard of me doesn't know I exist, and if you were to tell them I do, they could not be sure you weren't just making me up, so my existence is not a "truth" to them.

To go a step further, you cannot be sure I exist either. You know nothing about me. I can tell you right now my name isn't really Stella. You have no way of knowing anything about me beyond what I present to you, so what you think is "a truth about Stella" may in fact be entirely false.

So how can you claim to know the truth about anything really?

Source(s): Hellenic Polytheist

If for argument sake we say here that the Devil lies in order to deceive, then by the same token we can say that there is no truth in the Devil, this is a true statement.

Therefore, it is true that there is no truth in this case. Just as truth exists in your singular case.

Anyway, truth is relative, as well you know.

Edited on:

‘Melchise,’ that’s a good one, lol!

Anyway, if you read my answer correctly you would have seen that I am not saying: ‘It is true there is no truth.’ That is a general statement of which you have made; what I am saying is that there-‘is no truth in the Devil and that it is true there is no truth in the Devil,’- and not that there is no truth in general. Your question, as well you know, is a paradox, a conundrum and as such, has no illogicality to it. This paradoxical question does not necessitate that there is ‘no truth,’ on the contrary we all know there is ‘truth,’ which is often ‘relative’ too one’s views but not necessarily so.

It is a very clever play on words, well done for that, and that’s the truth, therefore, truth exists!

Okay. To what level of truth or existence do you intend on being? I hope it's more then just being able to read a few sentences then turn around to accept death and limitation, and an empty life. I would not call that existence. Life is forever. I am the manifestation of Life. I will do everything I can to be what I was created to be, or simply not "truly" exist.

Exodus 20 (First 2 Commandments) New translation reads:

"I am the Lord your God, who rescued you from slavery in Egypt.

"Do not worship any other gods besides me.

"Do not make idols of any kind, whether in the shape of birds or animals or fish. You must never worship or bow to, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not share your affection with any other god! I do not leave unpunished the sins of their parents to the third and fourth generations. But I lavish my love on those who love me and obey my commands, even for a thousand generations.

-He's saying what Jesus later breaks down when one of the pharisees, an expert in the Jewish Law, tried testing Jesus by asking what the most important Commandment is. In Matthew 22:37 Holy Bible Contemporary English Version Jesus answered:

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind. This is the first most important commandment. The second most important commandment is like this one. And it is "Love others as much as you love yourself."

This is, to me, the key to true existence. Love God with all of you, and Love thy neighbor (Mother, Father, Brother, Sister, Friend, Self) the same as you love and care for yourself.

I don't think people have a problem with truth. They have a problem with absolute truth. So they deny that absolute truth exists. But how would you prove that? If there is no absolute truth, what foundation do you have that makes the statement true?

Take a 16 oz claw hammer and strike your thumb with as much force as you can muster.

If it hurts, then you exist and exist is or is not a state of being.

To check the validity, do it again with the opposite hand.

The only truth is that you will die someday.

(Do NOT try this at home)

• ?

Truth exists.

Who said it didn't?

Addendum: Josh - "there is no truth that is truth for everyone. truth is a relative thing. my truths may not be truths to others."

Of course there is. All objective truth is absolute. It is true independent of any observer.

The only truth that is relative is subjective truth. That is what is called "opinion".

It is possible that there are certain truth's in this world. It is an absolute truth that people are born, people live and people die.

Certain truths do exist while others do not.

Right, I was raised to be a certain faith. I was told all other religions were wrong and those poor people were all going to hell. I would see other people practice their beliefs and think how could they not see their error? Then when I got older I thought how is it that I was so lucky to have parents in the only right faith? Then I realized that our faith must be just as stupid as all others. The hard part for most people is to admit that they are just as lost as everyone else, and to swallow one's pride.